PDA

View Full Version : Algae problem

nanobuds
01/29/2009, 04:50 PM
I had my tank set up for about a month now, it is a nanocube 28 hqi. I have a algae growth on my sand and some on my rock. it gets really annoying, and sometimes it is slime with air bubbles in it. Is there an easy way 2 get rid of it?
:eek2: :confused:

zoozilla
01/29/2009, 05:02 PM
Not knowing anything else about your setup and current water parameters, you can start by: Decreasing the amount of feeding, Siphoning any uneaten food, increasing water changes, increasing circulation and flow, adding some type of carbon filtration...Almost forgot: siphon out the slime algae. This should help, but it takes time and patience.

the2ofus
01/29/2009, 05:06 PM
[welcome]

As your cube balances out (it is rather a new system) you'll experience the algae issue. Add a clean up crew, I'd recommend blue legs and cerith snails for this prob.......when it gets to hair algae, go for a Mexican turbo.
Keep an eye on nitrates and phosphates and attempt to suck it out with water changes.
On the other hand, you could chemically remove it, AGI marine algae gone or something like that is one that seems to have good reviews on here, I've never used it...I just beef-up my clean up crew if algae start to get out of hand.
Maybe cut your photo period a little.
Hope this helps.

nanobuds
01/29/2009, 05:23 PM
ok thx