how long a radius and how hot?

or is it even possible

thanks

pimpinitup6969
01/29/2009, 08:13 PM
i just heated it with a heat gun and used a 2x4 to mold it around

xJake
01/29/2009, 08:44 PM
I've never done this, but I'm curious... what are you looking to make by bending eggcrate? Maybe a seamless frag rack? Or...

psteeleb
01/29/2009, 10:18 PM
I'm going to replace this slapped together clam cage I made to prevent fish from picking on mantles with a new one that is a little more presentable

old one - and by the way my clams have never been happier :)
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh283/psteeleb/oldclamcage.jpg

new one in the works - the glue for the top is drying. I still have a little more bending to do to get the sodes lined up. I ended up boiling the eggcrate to bend it. It shrunk about 5%
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh283/psteeleb/clamcag1.jpg

chort55
01/29/2009, 10:46 PM
Doesn't covering the clam like that make it kind of pointless to have the clam since its hard to see it??

I'm sorry if I don't understand the whole point of having clams other then looks wise.... I'm still working on doing all my research before setting up my tank :)

psteeleb
01/29/2009, 10:57 PM
they are filter feeders

but seriously - they were fine for months, then one day I came home and they are all pulled in with nips out of their mantels. We watched them wither away for about 2 weeks as they never came out in fear of being nipped. So someone in the tank was biting them when we weren't watching. I though it could be the LMB as I saw him go after them in the past but it was more in passing, ands the bite marks too small. So then I thought maybe the coral beauty, but never saw him even look at the clams. So no telling, as far as I'm concerned it could have eve been a yellow tang as the bite marks were about the size of their mouths

So out of desperation, I rigged up the cage and they have never been happier. We use to see them just fine from the front of the tank but the clams have out grown the cage and now need a larger one. The new one is about 2" wider and 1/2" taller. The cage is easily removable for showing off the clams.

Shadowramy
01/30/2009, 03:19 PM
There is a guy in my reef club that does this, he uses a heat element from a toaster or hair dryer or something like that. The element is connected to some wood, he turns it on, hold the eggcrate over the element and then bends it. It also works with acrylic.

I will see if I can get picture of it.

mustang51js
01/30/2009, 03:55 PM
are those star fish on the front glass

psteeleb
01/30/2009, 05:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14281043#post14281043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mustang51js
are those star fish on the front glass

yep - asterinas