PDA

View Full Version : Livestock Options on new 24G Nanocube

Wolf74
01/30/2009, 07:56 AM
Just got my new nanocube from Dr. Foster and Smith. Was trying to figure out exactly what I wanted to keep in there that would be a little different. First was thinking a dwarf lion or peacock mantis. Reading a little further though it seems that it might be too small for either one of those. I already have a regular 75 gallon reef with clowns and all of that type of stuff. Anyone have any ideas for something a little different or out of the ordinary for this tank? Thanks for your opinions!!!!

Savas
01/30/2009, 09:08 AM
2 cardinal pajamas and a mandarin would be nice.

Illuminati
01/30/2009, 09:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14278107#post14278107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Savas
2 cardinal pajamas and a mandarin would be nice.

Wow, maybe you want to make a note to never give advice again. Mandarins are not nano fish as they are tough to keep fed.

As for suggestions you have a cover on the tank, how about a jawfish and flasher wrasse combo since both are common jumpers and might be tough to keep in other tanks without the hood. Add in some cool inverts like sexy shrimp and a pom pom crab and that would be a cool tank.

Savas
01/30/2009, 10:39 AM
Not if you buy one that eats mysis! I have had one for over 2 years in my AP24 and he is fat and healthy. It is all in the details my friend.

Illuminati
01/30/2009, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14278812#post14278812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Savas
Not if you buy one that eats mysis! I have had one for over 2 years in my AP24 and he is fat and healthy. It is all in the details my friend.

Everyone knows that if they eat mysis you have better luck, not 100% luck but better luck. Just to point out your first post said nothing of a mandarin eating prepared foods which is good information for people new to the hobby to know (Even though the poster of this thread doesn't apprear new to the hobby and probably knows this info).

Savas
01/30/2009, 11:21 AM
Not to highjack the thread, but I just thought your comment was terse and somewhat degrading: Wow, maybe you want to make a note to never give advice again. Mandarins are not nano fish as they are tough to keep fed.

Many people consider Mandarins, that eat mysis, good nano fish as they are not highly active and do well in smaller environments.

Wolf74
01/30/2009, 12:59 PM
now...now...now...no fighting. Thanks for the responses. Mandarins are great little fish and i'm sure they would do great if eating prepared foods. Not too many in my area like that though and if there are they go pretty quick. I'd be scared to even put one in my 75!! The flasher wrasse sounds pretty good especially with having the hood. I know my sixline is all over the place in my tank...would the fairy have enough room without being too bored in the 24? Still looking for other ideas also if anyone has some.

Savas
01/30/2009, 01:35 PM
My favorite 24 gallon tank has a pair of clowns in it and RBTA with some random soft corals and GSP. The RBTA is set-up in the middle of the tank and is the focus. This is a great tank because of the constant motion of the fish and RBTA. In smaller tanks a more focused approach can really work well.

Wolf74
01/30/2009, 02:59 PM
Sounds good also...this tank only has the PC's on it right now though. Shouldn't a RBTA be under Halides or HO T5's?

ilikelps
01/30/2009, 03:23 PM
I have a RBTA under my bc pc lighting and it is doing great! Go for it! Also my ideal stock for that would be, pair of clowns, very small yellow tang.

Ben

Savas
01/30/2009, 03:43 PM
I also kept an RBTA with success under the stock lighting. I also had a crocea clam in the tank and everything was doing well until I went away for a week and the power was off for two days in the summer. I stil remember that smell... One trick for stock lighting is to keep the plexiglass light shield clear of salt.

Wolf74
01/30/2009, 05:23 PM
Hmmm...that is something I will really look into then. I will leave the tang out of it though. The RBTA with clowns sounds pretty cool though.

Willster
01/08/2012, 01:15 AM
Frog or Scorpion fish do well in nano setups and are always a conversation piece :) Depending on the amount of knowledge with them, dwarf horses would be cool too :)