PDA

View Full Version : help diagnosing aquarist injuries?

ArtC
01/30/2009, 12:08 PM
Having recently gotten stuck/stung by something unidentified in my tank, it occurred to me that I know of a lot of resources for identifying injuries to fish and corals but none for identifying injuries to the human keeping them.

I've got a number of blister-looking injuries on my left hand, which feel like they are burns when they touch something. Clear, uninfected, with some distinct spots in the middle that suggest independent stabs/stings. Had them for almost a week now, and they don't look like they'll be gone soon. But not spreading either.

I think I got them while cleaning a piece of LR which I held in my hand. Didn't feel anything at the time, but I sure feel them when I type. (I know - wear gloves. But I'd handled the same rock casually before w/o injury. I know - wear gloves :D )

So, anybody got a link for identifying reef injuries in humans?

Jerm77
01/30/2009, 12:28 PM
bristles from a bristle worm?

ArtC
01/30/2009, 12:46 PM
maybe, but I don't know what the stings look like so it's hard to say.

My guess is not, because it's in different areas of my hand.

seapug
01/30/2009, 12:54 PM
Bristleworms will leave what looks like fiberglass shards in your skin. The irritation is a similar sensation.

Stings from hyroids and corals can affect people in different ways, often half way between a bee sting and poison ivy. You usually get a physical signs similar to what you describe-- anything from a mild itchy red spot to blistering rashes on more sensitive skin. Symptoms are rarely unbearable usually subside after a few days, but if you are feeling dizzy, have a strange taste in your mouth or have massive gaping wounds developing, definitely see a doctor immediately. There are many other toxins and bacteria in a reef tank that can potenitally make you very sick.

Chihuahua6
01/30/2009, 12:54 PM
Perhaps it's an allergic reaction to something rather than a sting. I have been stung by my Bubble Tip Anemones on occasion. I also developed some marks on my arm that were painful and itchy that were not from an anemone sting. I don't think my arms touched anything directly so I attributed it to a reaction to something in the water.

Sometimes my skin gets very irritated after being in the tank. It even burns on occasion. Other times it's okay. I don't know why.