PDA

View Full Version : Grouper in a reef?

allegra
01/30/2009, 04:42 PM
Hi all, I've been reading alot on here and finally converted my 60 gal FOWLR to a reef. I've never kept corals before. I have about 60 lbs of live rock and 260 watts of PC. I have a Aqua C Remora and the tank has a built in wet dry in the back. I added some Zoanthid frags this week and 2 individual mushrooms ($10 each). I have a 4 inch v-tail grouper in there and I kinda want to keep it because, well, I like it alot. It obviously doesn't touch the corals. My question is would it produce too much waste for the corals? If I add snails and hermit crabs would it eat them too? I currently feed it 1-2 silversides every 2 days or so. Thanx in advance.

wanabebell
01/30/2009, 05:50 PM
It all depends on what else is going in that tank....In general Hamlets are better "groupers" for reefs. but yes your V-Tail could stay in there as long as you put no shrimp, crabs like sally light foots, and small fish

allegra
01/30/2009, 06:35 PM
Thanx for the reply, but would it eat snails and hermit crabs? Seems to me it would back off because the shells are just too much. Also, would the grouper's poop be too much for the tank?

wanabebell
01/30/2009, 07:01 PM
I think it would leave your hermits/snails alone..As long as your filtration system is "beefy" the waste shouldnt be to much of an issue.....That means quick current to get waste to filters....a BIG skimmer would be necessary....what else do you plan on putting in the tank?