PDA

View Full Version : Group trips, frag swaps, diving, snorkeling

tylersdad
01/30/2009, 04:41 PM
Ok guys, I have been thinking about this for a while and was wondering what you guys thought of it. How does everyone feel about taking our reef club to the next level? Mainly from a local forum to a lightly organized club with more events and networking. I feel that all we are lacking is someone to take a leadership role and organize events like dives, snorkeling trips, and frag swaps. With most of us in the military we have a plethora of resources at our disposal to help bring these ideas into reality. Something like this can really take of, if we can get enough participation. If we can get at least maybe 5 solid members I am willing to take the lead and organize our first event. What do you all think?

2t2_crash
01/30/2009, 04:54 PM
I am game.

obviously our schedules can be shaky at time (I work at K5 right so I am always at work it seems).

how many of us dive? My gear is in for annual so I am high and dry for a few weeks, but am a deep/nitrox diver.

tylersdad
01/30/2009, 04:58 PM
Lionel and are both taking the open water cert all this week starting on Sunday.

2t2_crash
01/30/2009, 05:06 PM
awesome! the more divers the better. I have 40 under my belt and always say the more the merrier.

who is your instructor?

ETA: it's nice to see someone on the forum... I got spoiled by ar15.com... when you post a thread or response you might have ten replies before you can go get a cup of coffee. :eek1:

tylersdad
01/30/2009, 05:54 PM
Jon Menendez

2t2_crash
01/30/2009, 06:04 PM
haven't taken any classes with him, Darlene Fong and Eric Eckman have been my instructors. let me know how you like him. and have fun... you have just entered another expensive hobby. LMAO

tylersdad
01/31/2009, 05:11 AM
I know, my wife will be thrilled!!

magrath
02/02/2009, 08:34 PM
I am in as well. I have been certified for 22 years and am working on my dive master cert. I would also be willing to host a frag swap/get together at my house.
Brad

2t2_crash
02/02/2009, 10:16 PM
who are you going for your dive master cert through? I need rescue and then I am probably going to intern with Eckman.

bethnjeremy
02/03/2009, 01:43 AM
i am always down getting involved and having it at my home, just a heads up I mainly deal with sps. I dont know if many can host them with their setups.

magrath
02/03/2009, 08:14 PM
One of the Marines that works for me GySgt Kozlowski is an instructor and has his own boat so I am currently going through the rescue cert. and will continue theough dive master with him.

Sango-chu
02/03/2009, 09:33 PM
I'm in.

bethnjeremy
02/04/2009, 03:29 AM
seems to be a consensus!

tylersdad
02/04/2009, 05:41 AM
Cool, I'm happy that everyone is on the same page. I think it would be good to have a BBQ or something at someones house and if people choose to bring some frags to share/trade then thats even better. I dont think it would be a problem for everyone to brings some kind of food to pass but having some kind of frag holding tank may be the most challenging part. Anyone have any ideas? I have about 30 gallons of NSW I can bring of someone has a vessel, circulation, and maybe a heater? For the amount of time a function would probably last, maybe 1 to 3 hours, I dont think any skimming/filteration would be required but of course ok if it was not too much hassle. Apart from frags of course it would be ok to bring equipment for sale and trade, pics of your setup, home made and favorite foods, etc. Anyone have any other ideas to add?

Sango-chu
02/04/2009, 06:01 AM
Wes, I added the pictures to my thread as promised; please go take a look adn I hope you enjoy.

And Kudos to you for stepping up to the plate ~ I will support you as best I can.

Lionel
02/04/2009, 03:50 PM
I have everything to setup frag holding systems except for light.. I have two spare skimmers, a couple of glass tanks, ect.. and i can grill a mean steak :D

tylersdad
02/11/2009, 03:16 AM
Ok, so it sounds like everyone is on board. I talked to Lionel, he will bring tanks and skimmers, I will bring some lights and build some shelves for the frags. Anyone want to provide a place to make all of this happen? Maybe we can do it like next Sunday the 22nd of Feb. If this sounds good I can some on Saturday and set everything up so the water is stable for Sunday. Also, does everyone wanna BBQ too?

TPS-Dive
02/15/2009, 06:34 PM
This sounds like fun. Dive trips to the Karamas, Ishigaki, Yonaguni, or other islands would be fun. I've only been in the water a couple of times since my dive buddy retired last summer. Finding a new group to go diving with would be great.

2t2_crash
02/15/2009, 06:36 PM
hey TPS are you OW, AOW or further along in certs? My wife, work buddy and I are all deep/nitrox certified, my partner is also a rescue diver and we like going deep. Suicide cliffs are absolutely awesome too, just a real [email protected]$% to get snorkeled out to. lots of swim through and hard coral.

TPS-Dive
02/15/2009, 06:58 PM
I'm rescue certified. I have over 400 dives logged. I don't go deep very often. Normal dives for me are 70ft (time average profile of 50') for 60min with an Al 80 tank. I have a steel 120 tank but never got into doubles or deco diving.

TPS-Dive
02/15/2009, 07:42 PM
This would be a fun event.
http://www.aquario.jp/
Don't know when the 2009 event would be.

james37128
02/15/2009, 08:34 PM
To be honest it is definitely not worth the trip for anyone in okinawa, heck it was barely worth the car ride, gas, and admission to the aquarium for me.

Sango-chu
02/16/2009, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14368692#post14368692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tylersdad
Ok, so it sounds like everyone is on board. I talked to Lionel, he will bring tanks and skimmers, I will bring some lights and build some shelves for the frags. Anyone want to provide a place to make all of this happen? Maybe we can do it like next Sunday the 22nd of Feb. If this sounds good I can some on Saturday and set everything up so the water is stable for Sunday. Also, does everyone wanna BBQ too?

Sorry guys, can't make it; will be going to our monthly meeting with our Okinawan friends...that is Marathon Sunday to...sigh