PDA

View Full Version : super high calcium?

teddyb
01/30/2009, 10:31 PM
I know this should probably be in the water chemistry section but here goes:

Whenever I test my calcium with my aquarium pharmaceuticals test kit, I can never get it to reach the final purple color that it is supposed to be, does this mean that my ca is super high?

After I get to drop 14 or 15 (13 drops would mean ca is at 520), when the drop I just added is still sitting on the top of the solution, it turns the final color just at the top, but as soon as I shake the test tube, it stays that magenta color.

Does this mean my calcium is super high? or is there something wrong with my kit?

jbird69
01/30/2009, 11:16 PM
My API test kit chart says 26 drops equals 520 ppm.

sabazerehi
01/30/2009, 11:49 PM
i have api calcium test kit too, would do the same thing. ended up just getting a seachem calcium test kit, it's much more reliable in my opinion. i would only trust api with the basic stuff, like ph, nitrates, ammonia.

Flipper62
01/31/2009, 01:53 AM
Your calcium level should be in the Mid 400......450....

520 Is way too high.......You need to look at a buffer or at the salt that your using...with lower levels

snorvich
01/31/2009, 05:44 AM
Calcium over 520 will also create problems with your pumps having calcium buildup. Get Elos or some other test kit that gives you a real answer.

dwd5813
01/31/2009, 06:03 AM
the endpoint color is supposed to be a deep blue. i'm currently using api kits also and last time i tested i had some troubles getting it to fully change. the purple color is supposed to be an intermediate change before it turns a deep blue, but the endpoint color looks purple to me, at least it's not very different than the purple to my eyes. personally, i'm going for a different brand of test kit for that one, as well as a few others like po4 and alk. salifert and elos seem to be reputable accurate brands and i'll be looking into those as options. fwiw, multiply your number of drops by 20 to get the ppm. meaning your 14 or 15 drops is only 280-300. i usually try writing down the drop number i was at when the initial shift to purple happens and add another drop or two until the color isn't noticeably different after a few seconds of shaking and call that my end point.