PDA

View Full Version : Caring for Nephthea

Jason Donohoe
01/31/2009, 05:52 AM
I posted this on the softie forum but didn't get any responses so I thought I would bring it to a wider audience :)

I just acquired 2 neon green Nephthea frags and would appreicate any advice on tank placing, flow, lighting and feeding.

From what I understand they appreciate higher flow than most softies, moderate lighting (I have 2, 65w, 10,000K PC + actinics), and 4 koralia 3's + the sump return in my 72 gallon.

What I don't know is if this lighting is 'moderate' enough or should I place them mid to low in the tank rather than close to the surface. I would prefer they keep their neon green colour rather than go brown.

Lastly, what is the best food for them. I expect that they need target feeding with a syringe/turkey baster but with what?

Any thoughts appreciated.

mfinn
01/31/2009, 09:51 AM
I have a couple nepthea's at the top of my reef under 250 watt mh's.
I do not feed them or any of my soft corals specificly.
Just water changes, and lots of flow.

Jason Donohoe
01/31/2009, 11:48 AM
Mfinn,

Have the nephthea's kept their colour? I had read that they tend to turn brown if relying on photosynthesis.

Thanks.

betamed
01/31/2009, 12:26 PM
I don't feed mine at all. started as a 1" frag and got over a foot wide before started fragging it. I have T5 lights and it does fine anywhere in the tank as long as its not shaded. the branches keep their color but the main stalk is more of a beige color. I'm not sure how important flow is. they seem fine in any conditions.

mfinn
01/31/2009, 03:53 PM
No they are still a neon green color.
I bought one about 7-8 years ago as a tiny 1-1/2" frag and it has been the slowest growing leather I have ever seen.
It's just about 4 " and real bushy.

ngn8dogg
01/31/2009, 04:38 PM
I have t-5s and keep mine at the bottom of the tank. Its not neon green but it is green. Its kept its color and grows super fast for me. I dont think it needs heavy flow. Mine is under moderate flow and is doing great. I dont target feed just rely on the fish poo and excess Rotifiers to feed

reefrf
01/31/2009, 04:53 PM
Same for me. Bought mine at 1 inch a year ago & now likes like this. Under 150w MH & lots of flow. Just as green as ever. I never feed it.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/rfinkelstein/P1010009.jpg

Jason Donohoe
01/31/2009, 07:43 PM
RF, great pic!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will keep it high in the tank and try feeding some phytoplankton to give it a boost.