PDA

View Full Version : Fish Food

dkermitb
01/31/2009, 06:10 AM
Folks,

Any thoughts on feeding larger fish, such as Angels and Tangs? I'm thinking about buying an Angel fish, but he's only eatting freeze dried Krill. Ideally, I always thought I wanted to feed these guys frozen krill. So if anyone knows where on island to get this, please let me know.

Additionally, what's everyone's thoughts on feeding larger angel fish just krill? Will they lose their color after a year or so? If so, what else can we feed them? Is the fresh water Tetra crap really worth putting into a salt water aquarium.

Kermit

tylersdad
01/31/2009, 06:17 AM
I have a lionfish and feed him only goldfish and he has only lost a minimal amount of color. All of my other fish eat only freeze dried krill and they have no color loss at all.

dkermitb
01/31/2009, 08:12 PM
How long have you had them for? The guy at the shop said they would lose color after a year.

james37128
02/01/2009, 05:06 AM
I make my own food. when I thaw it I can put it in a bowl to mix it up, or I can drop the cube after thawed directly into the tank, it still holds shape for my triggers and eel. I use a mix of... shrimp, squid, roe, small white fish (have no idea what they are) that the locals put on plain rice, scallops, and a mix of different nori, a few cloves of very finely chopped garlic, garlic extract, and selcon. Put it all in a blender until it has a pretty thick consistency (roe goes in last to not chop up the eggs). Then I use one of those tiny ice cube trays to make good sized cube servings (when I am not home I don't have to worry about my wife overfeeding). To get them out of the ice tray is a pain, one at a time with a steak knive.

bethnjeremy
02/03/2009, 02:47 AM
I feed heavy with live brine and spirulina flakes. You can get both on the net. I got my brine from brineshrimpdirect.com and the spirulina flakes you can as well. I got my flakes from marine depot. All fishes go crazy for both. Then I alternate with bloodworms, formula one n two, cyclopeeze. I have had great results.

magrath
02/03/2009, 09:23 PM
The local bait stores have huge blocks of small shrimp that are cheap and my fish love. It is what ACO feeds their fish.

bethnjeremy
02/04/2009, 04:30 AM
need to find some!

magrath
02/04/2009, 08:50 PM
Their is a bate store across from Starbucks (in front of Lester). They sell it in large blocks, that is where I go.

dkermitb
02/14/2009, 07:17 AM
Magrath,

Thanks for the bait shop suggestion! It was an awesome place to go for fish food. I highly recommend it to everyone on here. It is better and cheaper than you can buy back at the States or at most of the fish shops on Okinawa. I got some shrimp from a bag, they were just a size or two bigger than brine shrimp and they had color to them. I had to use about three big plastic bags to divide it up for my freezer.

When I fed it to the fish tonight, they each gobbled it right up. The whole bag cost upwards to 450 Yen. :) I probably won't have to buy any more food for the fish while I'm on Okinawa.

Kermie