PDA

View Full Version : Pearly Jawfish Pair

aaron1987
01/31/2009, 12:06 PM
My jawfish that I've been keeping for 6+ months went carpet surfing the other day so I'm thinking about picking up a mated pair of them. My substrate isn't deep enough to allow jaws to burrow freely (~2") and I've always used a buried PVC pipe that they take to readily. My question is what sort of behavior can I expect from a mated pair? Will they share a burrow? Would I need a larger PVC pipe than a singular jawfish would require?

philter4
01/31/2009, 04:49 PM
Jawfish don't form mated prs, if you get a male and female they will mate if all other conditions are met. Two males can live together, they will form burrows farther apart then a male/ female would, but maybe 9 inches rather then 6. If you only have a single piece of pvc as the available burrow site then one of them will just sulk in the back and probably not do well or feed. Jawfish also move their burrows frequently in the ocean so you should have multiple sites for them to dig, as that is why they jump, they are just searching for a new spot and in the tank they hit the glass and end up going over. So keep the tank covered and give them plenty of places to dig and you should be fine with one or two jaws.