PDA

View Full Version : bill me later?

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 06:04 PM
Has anyone used bill me later? I was looking into it because it says I can buy the 24-70 with 6 months no payments via bill me later.

Is it reliable / how does it work?

KMP
01/31/2009, 06:12 PM
i've used it before. pretty much a credit card. you'll get a bill there's an interest rate and you will have to make a monthly payment. not familiar with the no payments for 6 month deal your talking about though.

BlueCorn
01/31/2009, 06:13 PM
It's very reliable. They're actually owned by Citibank.

I use them all the time but you need to be careful. If you don't pay the full amount by the required date you get hit with some pretty hefty interest. I purchased at least $8000 worth of gear using them and never paid a dime in interest. It's a sweet deal if you're willing to stay on top of it.

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 06:25 PM
I'd be willing to pay monthly but it says no payments for six months. It does say purchase by midnight on 31st of January to get the special offer.

Is that why? So even if a bill would come monthly, you pay nothing for interest as long as you pay the amount per month?

91yota
01/31/2009, 06:38 PM
sounds like they are offering something along the lines of "6 months same as cash"... as long as the balance is paid within 6 months, you wont get charged any interest.. saying no payments for 6 months allows them to "bet" on you not paying it off in that time and them being able to hit you with the interest on the balance ;) i'd say go for it as long as you dont mind making the payments and can finish it off in 6 months

BlueCorn
01/31/2009, 06:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14288833#post14288833 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by t5Nitro
I'd be willing to pay monthly but it says no payments for six months. It does say purchase by midnight on 31st of January to get the special offer.

Is that why? So even if a bill would come monthly, you pay nothing for interest as long as you pay the amount per month?

B&H Regularly has that deal via bill me later. You can get either 90 days or 6 months depending on the purchase amount. You don't have to make any monthly payment and you don't accrue interest unless you fail to pay by your deadline.

Just read the fine print and you're fine.

KMP
01/31/2009, 06:54 PM
maybe i was wrong on teh interest. i'll be happier if i am wrong :)

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 07:43 PM
Well, I'm not really worrying about paying it off. I could go buy a whole new camera and lens setup if I absolutely wanted to.

Just don't feel like spending another grand right now. Ha ha.

It's purchases $750 and higher for 6 months, so I guess I'd be able to have 6 months to pay it off then.
Thanks.

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 07:44 PM
By the way, I don't understand this part of B and H if someone wants to tell me which one to buy:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=24-70mm&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2Fproductlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit

Multiple of the same thing.

Like the second one down is more money, out of stock, and includes lens hood/lens cover/soft carrying case and the same comes with the cheaper version of the same lens and under "item includes" there are the same items listed?

BlueCorn
01/31/2009, 07:52 PM
It's a custom bundle, hence the "B&H Kit" nomenclature. You also want to make sure you get the USA, not the IMPORTED version.

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 08:02 PM
The two top ones are USA and one is a kit and the other not.

I guess I'll go with the top one for $1,190. I watched a youtube video of someone opening their box and I swore he said he bought it from B&H for like $1,045 or so. May have been a special offer or just lower a while back.

In either case, Doug, are there any accessories you would buy with it?

I'd like the 430exII external flash... maybe I'll add that too. It should be no payments until August on the whole package then right?

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 08:17 PM
Ah yea, and before I push the button, on a crop body (30D), this lens will still be insanely better than my 28-135, yes?

BlueCorn
01/31/2009, 08:20 PM
Yes. :)

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 08:35 PM
I just had one more quick question, will they drop a lens off on a doorstep if nobody answers the door? I will not be able to be home any day really, so it'd have to be.

I would think so, otherwise, does cold hurt them in any way?

Don't really want a $1,200 lens affected poorly by cold weather.

Supposed to be 30F actually so it's pretty good on Friday (estimated delivery date). Otherwise in a truck it'll be cold at night around here. Possibly 0 or lower.

BlueCorn
01/31/2009, 08:42 PM
Whether they'll leave it depends on the carrier.

Cold won't hurt it but I'd let it come up to temperature before trying to use it just to avoid condensation in the camera.

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 08:48 PM
Alright, thanks again Doug, and also Titusville for helping me pick between two lenses. :)

Man, I can't wait to get this lens. I'm going to add the 430EXII to the order like I said. I didn't want to spend a whole lot, but I think it'll add a whole new style (and higher quality) portrait photography.

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 10:41 PM
Oh boy, just ordered it (them)! :lol:

I really didn't want to spend much more but hopefully the flash will pay off when I get it!

I ended up not doing the bill me later. Have to pay it sooner or later anyway.

FOSELONE
01/31/2009, 10:49 PM
i love bill me later...wish more places used it...

t5Nitro
01/31/2009, 11:23 PM
Yea, it looked cool but decided I have to pay it anyway.

Now I can't wait. I want summer to get here so I can buy a backpack style bag so I can take my new gear with me on motorcycle and cruise. :)

ngn8dogg
02/01/2009, 01:15 AM
sweet, Thanks for posting this thread!

dc
02/01/2009, 08:59 AM
If you have lifelock they will turn you down for bill me later.

Funny thing tho, after we already paid for my camera and another lens (turned me down twice) they called and tried to get me to sign up for it.

xtm
02/01/2009, 05:19 PM
Good thread!

Does bill me later check your credit before approving you? I'm trying to avoid any credit inquiry hit...

EDIT: Looks like they will do a hard inquiry (http://consumerist.com/consumer/hard-pulls/bill-me-later-can-ding-your-credit-score-333800.php)...ouch!