PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Green Start Polyps???

blair graphix
01/31/2009, 08:58 PM
How do you keep growth in check? Isolate it on a specific rock or in a specific location?

Just seems to creep (rather quickly) uncontrolled.

Any suggestions for removing it from live rock?

Thanks,
Taylor

will16
01/31/2009, 09:10 PM
They do spread quickly. I manually scrape them back to stop from spreading. I have also tried Aiptasia X on them and it does kill them but don't think it would clean an entire rock with it. I just hit the stragglers I see getting away. The best is to remove the rock, second best is to put that rock on the sand bed isolated from everything else.

Roy Arena
01/31/2009, 09:23 PM
I have the same question regarding star polyps. I cannot seem to get them under control.

blair graphix
01/31/2009, 09:35 PM
I pulled 2 of the 3 rocks that they are on. Going to see if I can work it off of those. I think (Keyword) that I can keep it under control on the 3rd rock.

I actually have it covering about a 1/3 of the back glass. This one I keep in check by just cutting off pieces when it gets near something.

It is quick!

I have another question for you all.... will green star polyps over run say a brain or montipora?

Thanks again... time to break out the scrub brush, lol.
Taylor

Gdevine
01/31/2009, 10:15 PM
Like Xenia for many these are an invasive coral and can and will get out of control if you don't keep them isolated. I wouldn't put these or Xenia in my tank...trust me...been there done that...ever again.

Roy Arena
02/01/2009, 08:50 PM
They will grow over, covering a montipora.

Rich D
02/01/2009, 08:58 PM
a brain or monti should be able to slime some of them away but once it becomes stressed, it will become vulnerable to attacks and then it probably wont go well

xenon
02/01/2009, 09:27 PM
Keep them on an island.

RiverOtter
02/01/2009, 09:28 PM
LOL you can always get a Tiger Cowle Snail. Mine just whiped out 75% of mine.

snorvich
02/01/2009, 09:31 PM
Some things are difficult if not impossible to control. The best approach is not to introduce them into your tank.

Timbor
02/01/2009, 09:38 PM
I keep mine on my sandbed... the mat just grows over the sand, and is very easy to trim - just rip the mat up, and voila! frags for sale!

Amazon4
02/01/2009, 10:11 PM
I keep some on a separate rock. When the matt grows out enough, I slice it off and it goes to the LFS for some credit.

There was also some growing on some LR I bought off of a fellow reefer. It's next to a huge BTA. The BTA keeps it in check. There's ONE thing that can kill gsp!

serpentman
02/01/2009, 10:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14296956#post14296956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xenon
Keep them on an island.

This is your best bet. I have kept them in a reef for years with no options. As they try to spread over the sand you can simply tear off pieces and sell them/trade them off.

blair graphix
02/01/2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the insight. Last night pulled two of the three rocks that had been taken over. It took some time but I managed to get it all off of those two and I isolated the one rock. I also trimmed the mat growing on the back glass. Took all of it to the LFS and got some credit.