PDA

View Full Version : Ducting dryer exhaust to heat sump shed?

OCEAN SIZE
01/31/2009, 11:02 PM
My new build will have a prefab shed outside with a 150g Rubbermaid sump / trough.

I do laundry mostly at night, and figure the exhaust heat could be used to help keep my sump shed warmer - I have a straight shot up to it, and its next to an open spot so I don't need to drill through the wall even... :)

Any reason not to do this or suggestions to help maximize it?

xJake
01/31/2009, 11:08 PM
My concerns would be lint/dust from the dryer and possibly airborne chemicals that might be released from detergents/dryer sheets/etc. when exposed to heat. I remember cleaning out the dryer duct when my family moved to our newest house - there was a ridiculous amount of build-up. That's not something that I would want anywhere near my reef tank.

OCEAN SIZE
01/31/2009, 11:14 PM
Good point - (as usual) - what about using filters on it? Cheap, hardware store, prefilters / filters, etc... I've checked the current exhaust and there's no buildup of scum on mine at the moment.

I have a couple places I can put filters, and I can screen the bejeebus out of it before it gets into the shed.

Maybe I could do a radiant floor in there? Or at least a contained sub-floor with filtered air?

Temperature control without an insane power bill is important to me here so I'm trying to figure out every possible efficiency angle...

xJake
01/31/2009, 11:36 PM
I'd imagine that would work, but it might end up costing you more in filters than it would save you in energy. Radiant flooring might work as well, but I don't know how efficient it would be in a prefab shed. Also, the return on investment would be very slow.

Energy costs wouldn't be a concern if you were to purchase a small thermal solar panel array for heating the radiant flooring's closed loop. I actually just saw a presentation about an alternate energy house in my local area called "Solterra" where the guy did the same thing in his entire house. You can see more info here: http://www.solterra.info/ (I'm not sure if the site has info on thermal solar specifically, but you could email the guy).

If you're looking for energy efficiency then you probably don't want to go with a prefab shed - they're not exactly known for their energy efficiency or insulation capabilities. On the other hand, I'm not exactly versed on the best means of creating an insulated outdoor space.

Have you considered a small greenhouse space since you're out in California? It would naturally heat the space during the day and would retain it throughout most of the night. You could also setup an awesome "solar-powered" frag tank or refugium.

Arghhh
01/31/2009, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't suggest it at all. Your dryer exhaust carries all the moisture from your clothes to the outside via that vent. If you vent it into your shed you will put all that moisture into a contained space and will cause mildew and mold to grow.

mightymizz
02/01/2009, 12:42 AM
Moisture, lint and dust, just not worth the hassle imo.

chort55
02/01/2009, 12:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14290704#post14290704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OCEAN SIZE
Good point - (as usual) - what about using filters on it? Cheap, hardware store, prefilters / filters, etc... I've checked the current exhaust and there's no buildup of scum on mine at the moment.

I have a couple places I can put filters, and I can screen the bejeebus out of it before it gets into the shed.

Maybe I could do a radiant floor in there? Or at least a contained sub-floor with filtered air?

Temperature control without an insane power bill is important to me here so I'm trying to figure out every possible efficiency angle...

I highly doubt per code you can install filters on your dryer exhaust. Where I am we can't even screw our exhaust pipes together, everything must be taped w/ high heat tape, because "the screws can build up lint and possible clog the pipe possibly causing a fire".

At the very best I would say you could run the pipe through the shed and out an exterior wall of it, hoping like heck that it gives off some heat (which won't be enough I'm sure).

OCEAN SIZE
02/01/2009, 02:21 AM
Good points all. Hm. Back to the drawing board.

sailoracu2
02/01/2009, 06:27 AM
use electric radiant floor heating, check out HD or Lowes

OCEAN SIZE
02/04/2009, 04:13 AM
That's a really good idea. Does any of it come pre-wired for an outlet?

TAB
02/04/2009, 09:19 AM
Most don't, most of them have to be hard wired, thru a thermostat. They also need a mass to heat up to work well.( IE tile)

I would also double check with the manufactor to make sure they can handle the wieght. They are nothing more then a coil of wire in a mat.

bag151
02/04/2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like the dryer idea is dead, but just to make sure, is it an electric or gas dryer? Venting from a gas dryer would be no different then leaving your car running inside a closed garage and suffocation to your tank and yourself would ensue.

jasonh
02/04/2009, 02:44 PM
If you ran the dryer vent through the shed and back out, you could use it as kind of a radiator. Maybe have a fan blowing on the pipe while the dryer is on or something. Not sure how much of an effect that would produce. Might not be worth the time.

Definitely insulate the heck out of that shed.

eznet2u
02/04/2009, 03:44 PM
What you would need, would be a heat exchanger of sorts.
With that said, it would have to be a design that could either
be cleaned periodically or would not clog with lint.
A simple metal box 2X2 would capture a little more heat for
the shed. Just make sure that it is sealed.

eznet2u
02/04/2009, 03:53 PM
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6374/newbitmapimageai4.png

devilsrule2004
02/04/2009, 07:33 PM
thats a good idea http://www.coupons.doikle.com/photo11.jpg

ihavtats29
02/04/2009, 07:50 PM
you can use a used intercooler for a turbocharger as a heat exchanger , you can getone from a junk yark for cheap, the only issue it will not heat as much as you think, you would have to apply a couple inchs of insulation on the dryer vent running out side to prevent heat loss pipe it thru the intercooler being aluminum it will transfer heat very well, built a box around it and mount a fan behind the coil blowing thru the coil, that will prevent the motor from overheating, set the fan up on a fan limit switch keeping the fan off untill the coil reaches 135 f , that will allow the heat exchanger to heat up before the blower comes on ,

eznet2u
02/04/2009, 09:07 PM
An intercooler would clog quickly with lint and debris from the Dryer.
The box could be fitted with a lid so that clean out would be easy.