PDA

View Full Version : Help with a good Salt brand??

ehutchby
02/01/2009, 12:41 PM
I have changed my FOWLER tank to an SPS dominated tank. I run out of Salt (Instant Ocean) and need to buy more.
I'm looking for a recomendation on what SALT you use and why.
My tanks parameters tested today at:
Salinity 1.26
DKH 9.6
Calcium 460
Magnesium? Haven't tested yet. But my Ca levels are consistantly around 450 with dosing.
thanks for the help in advance.

HighlandReefer
02/01/2009, 01:35 PM
You must be supplementing calcium to get a reading of 450 ppm, since IO has a content of about 350 ppm.

I use IO and supplement it at water change time with calcium and magnesium, since it is low in them. Reason is the price and I have no reason to believe that the other mixes are any better. :)

ssamick
02/01/2009, 01:59 PM
I am on bucket three of DD's and am really happy with it. You don't have to supplement anything. My main tank that I use this on is all sps. Also I switched from Reef Crystals with no ill affects.

spoofer
02/01/2009, 02:12 PM
I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef, but I have a hook up on it and it ends up costing me 20 bucks at most, but in general it's almost twice the cost of most salts- otherwise Reef crystals seems to be the most popular base salt for the buck- good luck! :)

kgross
02/01/2009, 02:45 PM
I think you are going to find that people use all of the different salt mixes....

Myself I used the ocean pure salt for a few years, and now I am using the ocean pure pro (my supplier switched to pro only).

Kim

ehutchby
02/01/2009, 03:24 PM
I agree. There are so many choices.
This thread has helped me get a quick start... Thank you
Yes, I dose calcium. I don't have many SPS in the tank just yet. My calcium needs are low.
Weigh in if you have a different salt mix you like.

Ion Innovations
02/01/2009, 10:12 PM
I've been very happy with Reef Crystals

kdblove_99
02/01/2009, 10:14 PM
I use RC also. Was thinking of trying Seachem reef salt. Since i like there numbers. I think for the money Coralife salt has very good numbers

maynardjames
02/01/2009, 10:18 PM
look at fist thread in this forum. it list most brands of salt & most inportant levels after mixing. all were mixed in same way such as temp & sg. very good thread. poster spent alot of time & money to help everyone out. it`s a must read for anyone wanting info on salt brands

palawan
02/01/2009, 11:20 PM
Seachem reef salt.