PDA

View Full Version : Let the learning begin (new D90)

Nagle
02/01/2009, 01:25 PM
After seeing some of the pictures on this site and other I decided to get a dslr camera.

I seen that alot of people from this and many other sites recommended B&H. I was going to order it from them till it hit me circuit city is going out of business. Well I picked up the D90 kit for $1103 out the door (after taxes).

It was killing me,I picked it up fri afternoon and was so busy that I didnt get to even open it till sat morning. Then sat I was off and running all over again. My son had a wrestling tournament sat. So I got a chance to use the camera. The bad part was I dont know the camera or dslr cameras for that matter. Talk about crash course learning. I brought the manuals to the camera with me to the meet. I took about 90 pictures at his meet. Some turned out and some didn't lol. looks like I'm going to be getting on the road to learning.

Here is afew pics from his meet.

I was late getting to the meet so I missed his first match which he lost by points.

this was after he won his second match. This win was by points.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm471/Nagle_GSXR/DSC_0053.jpg

This was his third and final match of the day. As you can see he won by pin. With my p&s camera the reefs arm would have been a blur.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm471/Nagle_GSXR/DSC_0093.jpg

This is a pic I took of my rbta. And once again boy do I have alot to learn.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm471/Nagle_GSXR/DSC_0110.jpg

I cant wait to learn more about this camera. I know I'll have lots of questions as time goes on.

hummermaniac88
02/01/2009, 02:01 PM
Im planning on getting the D90 too, I am getting tired of my E-500 lacking in almost everything. Hows the video mode thing anyways? Too bad we (Canadians) have import taxes (30%) when we order from the states...

Nagle
02/01/2009, 02:07 PM
I haven't messed with the video part yet. I've been on the run all weekend and the girl friend has people over today. So I dont want to really get it out with house full.

hummermaniac88
02/01/2009, 09:19 PM
Let me know how it goes, you bought the D90 with the kit lense no? What do you think? I want to get the D90 body only and get some tamron or sigma lense with it.

Nagle
02/02/2009, 12:33 AM
Yes I bought the D90 with the kit lens. So far I like it. I haven't used a dslr before so I have a lot of learning to do. I'm hoping to get some play time on it this week.

xtm
02/02/2009, 01:07 AM
Good shots! For a D90 kit w/ Nikkor lens, $1100 after tax is a darn good deal. What kind of lens does it come with?

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it real quick. The D90 doesn't have a steep learning curve and you can always resort to the scene modes (Nikon calls this "digital vari-programs")

I suggest getting a book for the D90 that is easier to understand and more fun to read than the manual. The manual only tells you what to press to get something and that's about it. Most third party books will explain to you why you need a certain mode, how to use it, and why you should use it.

have fun with your D90, it's a great camera!

Nagle
02/02/2009, 07:25 AM
The kit lens is an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
I have been reading the manual and alot of stuff on the web. The how and why to make an adjustment would help alot I'm sure.