PDA

View Full Version : new, little C. Argi

boilermaker1
02/02/2009, 09:45 AM
I just got this little guy over the weekend... He's in QT with a chalk bass I also picked up.
He's about the size of a quarter right now, and an total laugh to watch. He's eating well, but i'm having trouble giving him stuff small enough. He'll eat NLS pellets, but I have to crush them up for him to eat. He'll eat bits of broken mysis, but not whole ones, and he's doing a lot of picking at the pipes and tank walls, and will also eat the algae based frozen cubes if they're really small pieces.
For you guys who have small fish, any suggestions on other things to feed that are easy to swallow? He's real tiny... and has one heck of an appetite.

Here he is...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/boilermaker1/DSC_0056.jpg

And the sad puppy look...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/boilermaker1/DSC_0053.jpg

michellejy
02/02/2009, 10:19 AM
I've noticed smaller fish need to eat much more often than they do when they get larger, so be prepared to feed small amounts multiple times a day. You may also want to try small bits of one of the frozen angel foods.

My clowns were very tiny when I first bought them- probably even smaller than a quarter. I was feeding them frozen Formula 2 by cutting off a tiny piece and then smashing that tiny piece using the teeth of a butter knife. The small piece that fit between the butter knife "teeth" was the size that they could eat. It took about a month before they were big enough to eat anything even a bit larger.

Good luck. It's a beautiful fish. :)

philter4
02/02/2009, 10:47 AM
I feed my small fish frozen cyclops and freeze dried cyclopeeze, both foods are good and very small pieces. I've collected and grown argi from 3/4 inch just settled juvs up to 3 inch monsters, they are not too difficult to grow if they get good care.

snorvich
02/02/2009, 05:46 PM
I also advocate cyclopeeze (I prefer frozen). Very cute fish!

Chibils
02/02/2009, 06:10 PM
Though I don't remember where, I've read that cyclops are a bad food for Centropyge angels in the long term. Aside from that, I generally recommend anything snorvich says. (P.S. Steve may be right on this one, as I don't recall where I read it.)

Phoenix19
02/02/2009, 06:15 PM
Firstly I have to say it is way too cute. I love C. argi. Definitely my favorite dwarf angel with Potter's being second.

You might try Hikari's freeze dried Daphnia. May not be the best thing in the world for him but it is way tiny.

justinl
02/02/2009, 06:24 PM
i would stick to cycopeeze (i prefer frozen as well). you can also chop up frozen mysis and feed that.