PDA

View Full Version : Flow Issues

Zeus2
02/02/2009, 06:26 PM
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt31/jdukee/Fishtank08-9032.jpg

As you can see, I have 4 return jets with a large jet on the right side blowing over the top of the coral. Can coral still feed if that jet is directly over them like that. Should I face it more toward the front. What do you think. Any advise would help. Thanks.

Hookup
02/02/2009, 06:31 PM
What's changed? This tank has some wonderful mature colonies it it that have likely grown significantly... if nothing's changed??

Zeus2
02/02/2009, 06:37 PM
The tank is well established, but what has changed is the massive amounts of corals I have. Someone near me just broke down a beautiful 300 reef. Alot of the coral you see is from his tank. It's been in my tank for a week now. I'm stressing because I spent alot and got an amazing price break on everything. I don't want to loose anything. I'm worried that all the coral on top of the tank might be sensitive to the flows. I don't want to wait tell I see somethimg die to ask for advice.

Zeus2
02/02/2009, 07:22 PM
What should I be feeding this tank. I keep my levels well. I give zooplanton once a week. I feed mysis and krill (small amts. to fish every day. Should I be doing more.

Hookup
02/02/2009, 07:49 PM
I see. I'm no expert, but what you are doing sounds good... but it's open to some interpretation.. what do you mean "I keep my levels well."?

I keep mine at;
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/Phospate = 0ppm
Ca = 400ppm
Mg = 1400ppm
Alk = 8.5
Salinity - 1.025
pH = 8.2
Redox = 310mv ([profanity] meter though)

As for "feeding" you should be fine feeding what you are doing... with loads of skimming for best results...

kemann
02/02/2009, 09:14 PM
You may need a little more flow. In general, I have not found it sufficient to rely on just returns for flow. The flow from the returns tends to be fairly directional and you may do better with more diffuse flow. I would also worry that all of your flow is in the top of the tank.

With those large established corals, you will also have to make sure and supply the calcium needs. How are you supplementing?

I feed more often than once a week (I average avery third day or so) but to do that you have to make sure you have good skimming and phosphate control.

markandkristen
02/02/2009, 10:59 PM
i love vortechs myself they are easy to hide and you can get the wave action going in your tank. since you have directions flow covered you could add the wave feature and be set..

Zeus2
02/02/2009, 11:44 PM
I will feed more often with the zooplanton. There is also a small jet hiding on the bottom center (Inside the cave there.). I think I will move the large jet on the right down to the middle of the tank. I've also heard of jets that sweep back and forth. Does anyone know of a good brand if you think this would be a good idea to do.

kemann
02/03/2009, 08:47 PM
There are some rotating add-ons that can be put on power heads etc. I don't know how well they would work on your returns. If you really want chaotic, alternating flow, I would say either a closed loop with one of the alternating flow devices or add some controllable power heads. I have the controllable Koralias and like them but the Tunze, Vortecs and Seio's are good choices. As I noted above, I'm not sure you will get the flow you are looking for with just your returns.

Kevan

60Cubed
02/03/2009, 10:36 PM
Add a mp40 on the lagoon setting and your tank will love you for it!

Zeus2
02/04/2009, 10:51 AM
thanks for the help. I'll try the mp40 and see what happens.

Zeus2
02/04/2009, 10:09 PM
Has anyone used seaswirls. How effective are they with SPS. Will they do the job or is the mp40 the route to take. Is it worth the price difference.

Nanook
02/05/2009, 02:44 AM
[moved]