PDA

View Full Version : Clown pairing?

DGee
02/02/2009, 09:22 PM
So I've been in this hobby for quite a few years but I have very little experience with clowns, I had my maroon pair for years till the female mysteriously died. Now I just have the little gsm who hangs out in my H. Mag

I setup a solana for my girlfriends mother in her office and of course she wanted a pair of clowns. I purchased two very small tank raised ocellaris for her and both of them arrived in terrible shape and I was unable to nurse them back to health.

So for a surprise for her I picked up a large black and white ocellaris from Ora and then a little guy to try and pair them, they get along well the large obviously female nipped at him a little upon introduction but not really what I would consider biting, the little one just didn't seem to interested in the large female but they swim around together constantly.

Well she didn't have the heart to tell me that she ordered an ocellaris pair from LA, they arrived two days later and she added them to the tank. All four got along quite well, I've explained to her that two of them will have to go because her tank is waaay too small for two pairs of clowns.

Well the situation now is this... The two black and whites seem to kinda hang together and get along the two that were purchased as a "pair" from LA well... one is lightly larger than the other it's actually really hard to tell but I got a call today that she had to get the smaller one out of the back filter area in the tank because he had obviously jumped back there. The larger, which I'm guessing is the female is dive bombing the smaller one who is either running from her constantly or hiding under the elegance. She seems to bite at him and then does the little seizure submission shake in front of him. So I don't know what to think about all of this...

They have been in the tank for almost a month now and this behavior just started two days ago.

Is this normal? I had planned on moving the black and whites into my tank so she could keep the "pair" she purchased and let them to their thing but now I'm not sure what to think now...

jkrentz2515
02/02/2009, 11:59 PM
The general rule of thumb is one pair of clowns per tank.

DGee
02/03/2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks... I'm very aware of that. Hence why I'm taking the pair of the black and whites.

The issue isn't the two pairs in the tank its the behavior of the "pair" that came from Live Aquaria.

robsk
02/03/2009, 10:31 AM
The whole "shake thing" is pretty normal, imo. I don't know much about the biting. I have a pair of percs that play around with one another, but don't seem to bite each other.