PDA

View Full Version : introducing an anemone to a tank

hamiltonguy
02/02/2009, 11:44 PM
I've read in many places that a tank should be mature before you introduce an anemone, meaning at least a year old. My question is if you have had a tank running for a year and then decide to upgrade to a bigger tank, do you have to wait another year or can you introduce it much quicker? (Assuming that all the liverock and most of the live sand and water was added to the new tank).

Toddrtrex
02/03/2009, 12:18 AM
IMO, the waiting is two fold, to give the tank time to settle in, and (( if you ask me, more importantly )) to give the reefer time to get used to the tank, and how to care for it before something goes wrong.

As for the case that you mentioned, (( and assuming that you have experience with anemones )) I would say a month or two after the transfer would be fine --- should stress, having experience with anemones, and been keeping tanks for a while.

Recently (( about a month ago )) I transferred my 29 into a new 33 cube. Over the weekend I added an LTA, so far it is doing great. Should note that I have been in the hobby since '92, and have been keeping anemones for 15 years (( my current oldest anemone is 9+ years old )).

hamiltonguy
02/03/2009, 09:44 AM
Well I haven't kept an anemone yet. If I get one it would be my first but i've been reading up alot on them. Of course reading isn't the same as first hand experience.

Also, I was wondering if a BTA can be kept under PC lighting or does it require at least T5's?

robsk
02/03/2009, 10:27 AM
I took a bta out of one tank and put into a new (bigger) tank with the old water. It did just fine and loves his new home. Some anenomes seem to be really strong. Put this bta in my original tank after 2 months and has been doing great.

Sump'n2do
02/03/2009, 10:51 AM
I wasn't aware of that. I have a GBTA in my tank which is only a few months old. I hope it does ok.

hamiltonguy
02/03/2009, 11:22 AM
Hm, thanks for the info guys i'll definitely keep that in mind when getting an anemone.

Any comment on the lighting required?

NirvanaFan
02/03/2009, 11:32 AM
PCs are generally considered the bare minimum to keep a BTA. How many watts are the PCs, how far above the surface are they, and how far below the surface is your highest rock point?

hamiltonguy
02/03/2009, 01:41 PM
the PC's are 50/50 65w 10k daylight and 65w 460nm royal blue actinic. They are about 3-4" above the tank (just estimating not quite sure).
The highest point of the rock is probably about 1-2.5" below water line. I'm also planning on getting a bit more rock so I can make it just about 1" below water line and keep a monti cap in the future :D.
It's a 20g tank with over 40x turn over. As of yet I only have an elegance coral and a torch coral. Ive been thinking of getting more but if I can keep an anemone I'd rather wait and get it first.
I probably won't get it till April anyway when my university term is over but just looking to get all the info now.

maddmaxx
02/03/2009, 04:25 PM
seeking info before a decision in this hobby is very good. cudo's to you for that

robsk
02/03/2009, 05:12 PM
Your placement of the bta will have a lot to do with the lights. I have good luck with my bta sitting about 12 inches from my light, but I have some mh's. Also waterflow is something to consider. Imo, feeding them well can go a long ways to make up for lighting deficiencies. One thing about them, they will let you know when they are not happy.

hamiltonguy
02/03/2009, 06:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14310555#post14310555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maddmaxx
seeking info before a decision in this hobby is very good. cudo's to you for that

Thanks man :rollface:

So, what's the verdict on my light & rock set up?

Also, suppose I do get one under my PC's and it doesn't settle or starts to shrivel, what do I do? Take it out? if so, how?

robsk
02/03/2009, 09:34 PM
Imo, you could keep an anemone with that light considering the smaller tank. Your right about getting it first, because if it grows like it should, you will have a dinner plate before too long. Find a piece of live rock that has a nice crevice in it for the foot of the anemone. I place my with my hands.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/184536P1020528.jpg

hamiltonguy
02/04/2009, 08:05 AM
I think i have the perfect crevice in my highest rock for the foot. It's literally just a hole big enough for a pretty much adult clown fish to swim through. I think that SHOULD be good for a small BTA. Of course I will get more rock before i get the BTA. I might pick one up from a local reefer or LFS. As I hear shipping anemones may bleach them.

Any signs to look for when picking out an anemone?

robsk
02/04/2009, 08:09 AM
Look out for the bleaching just like you said. A gaping mouth is cause for concern. Of course, if shriveled up, be careful. Make sure foot looks in good shape.

hamiltonguy
02/04/2009, 08:31 AM
Ok, thanks robsk and everyone else for the advice and info. Can't wait to get my little guys a proper home.

hamiltonguy
02/04/2009, 12:02 PM
Wait before this gets closed a couple more questions came to mind.
1) I have to koralia 1's on each side of the tank closer to middle-lower end on the wall. Would these be a concern when adding the anemone?
2) I have an elegance coral sitting on the sand. I know these corals are very sensitive. Should I be worried about the elegance with a new anemone?

edit: what are the chances of a LTA thriving under my lights as well?

sorry for all the questions these just randomly poppped into my head while I was studying chemistry for a midterm :rolleyes:

robsk
02/04/2009, 02:25 PM
Chances are the anemone will not want to be in the direct flow of the koralia (although I don't know about a "1's" flow). Just reposition stuff to accomodate that fact. If the flow is too high...the anemone will move. Don't let the anemone touch the coral. Give about 6 inches of space. Those arms can really sweep out there especially as they get bigger. Pay attention to which way those arms are flowing (depends on current of course) when placing future corals.

hamiltonguy
02/04/2009, 03:16 PM
Koralia 1's are at 400gph and with two in a 20g tank, I'm hoping is more than enough flow. What are the chances of the anemone staying near the top as my lighting is just PC's but at about 7.5wpg.

robsk
02/04/2009, 08:57 PM
7+ watts a gallon should be fine. Don't really even think you need to worry about him being near the top. My concern at this point would be the water flow. Anemones can be funny about how much flow they get. But again, they will let you know and move on you. Currently I have an anemone sort of under a koralia 2. In other words, the powerhead is situated above the anemone. In another post, you will see someone talking about using a powerhead to dislodge an anemone from a rock...so I think most agree that they can't have too much flow on them.

robsk
02/04/2009, 09:11 PM
Might be easier just to show you the placement under the koralia...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/184536P1020546.JPG

hamiltonguy
02/04/2009, 10:08 PM
Well right now I have flow bouncing off the back wall and front of my tank. With two HOB filters pouring water on top for surface movement. Hoping to get some chaeto going in either one or both.

Thanks for the advice robsk, it's been a huge help. I was getting the feeling I couldn't keep any anemone under my lights but I'm finally thinking about actually getting one. :D

Toddrtrex
02/04/2009, 10:47 PM
The only anemone I would try (( and I personally wouldn't keep an anemone in a 20, but that is just me )) is a BTA -- an LTA would get too big and you don't have enough light for one.

As for your lights... at best remove the actinic for a 10K/10K bulb and keep the 50/50. At worst take out the 50/50 for a 10K/10K bulb.

hamiltonguy
02/05/2009, 08:33 AM
I was reading up on LTA and riterris and some can get up to 1.5ft across! That's nuts, it's almost the entire length of my tank.
So, as soon as I read that I started thinking about my lights, looked up a picture and realized I dont have 50/50 lights. I tought that just meant one daylight and one actinic. I have two PC bulbs and one is full white and the other is full blue.