PDA

View Full Version : Basics of growing algae in FOWLR?

dendro982
02/03/2009, 07:29 AM
Hi, can you give any tips on growing macroalgae in omnivorous fish tank, without compromising health of the fish?

I have fileshishes, that would benefit from live macroalgae in their diet, in addition to dried.

But I wasn't ever able to grow macroalgae (W or SW) at will, even with CO2 (bottle/yeast) bubbling for FW. Always undesirables grow, and useful plant grow at will.

What can I do:
1. Create protected area, so not all will be eaten at once?
2. Use 6,500K CFLs (would like avoid unnecessary expenses) in one corner?
3. Bubble CO2 (same DIY coca bottle and yeasts)? Will it mess with pH or something could be done to prevent this?
4. Make very high flow in this part? Or very low?
Some plants (fern kelp and red ulva-like started to grow in low flow, low light areas recently)
5. How prevent or control undesirables (turf algae, algae with stolons, flats of red bubble algae, and usual - valonia, hair algae and bryopsis)? I am dealing with the lasts in not planted tanks, but in favorable conditions they may take over.

I have Iron supplement, but it never helped. My algae seem have own mind.

I have grape caulerpa, ref fern kelp, red ulva-like, halimeda, red elongated cylindrical stalks, will be looking for more. Ochtodes and chaeto, no problem with them, but nobody eats this.

dendro982
02/13/2009, 08:35 AM
Anyone?