PDA

View Full Version : Milbemycin & Red Bug

Barbie69
02/03/2009, 09:57 AM
Hi.
My tank 100 liter.(show tank 60 liter, sump 40 liter)
i have Milbemycin 1 tablet (10mg).
How much amount Milbemycin to kill Red Bug for my tank ?
i would to change water after treatment 6 hour and how much to water change?

Cleaning Shrimp & Serpent Sea Star have effect treatment?

If i catch go out them.
How many day after treatment add get them back to my tank?

Thk U.

91yota
02/03/2009, 10:40 AM
remove any shrimp and crabs and place them in a QT during the process, or leave them in and take your chances, sometimes they make it, sometimes they dont

use 1/3 of your pill, turn your skimmer off, crush the pill to a fine powder and dissolve it in a cup of tank water and dump the mixture into a high flow area of your tank

do 50% water change after 6 hours

repeat after 7 days

do another 50% water change

return shrimp and crabs to the tank

Barbie69
02/03/2009, 11:02 AM
Hi,91yota
1/3 tablet is not to much more?

91yota
02/03/2009, 04:17 PM
no. with a 10mg tablet, using 1/3 of the pill is ok. i recommend 1mg of Milbemycin treats up to, but not more than 15 gallons and i prefer to not see concentrations less than 1mg/10gal... in your case, you are dealing with roughly 25-30gal therefore you need about 3mg to treat the system... in my experience, you cannot "overdose" and i have personally used upwards of 3mg per 10g with no ill effects

GreatReefs
02/03/2009, 04:24 PM
I battled red bugs some time ago. And man do are they sometimes hard to get rid of. I would repeat the treatment several times every 7 days even if you don't see them. I think their eggs aren't affected by the treatment. So multiple doses is necessary.

NanoReefWanabe
02/03/2009, 08:08 PM
overdosing dosent seem to be too much of an issue, i dosed ten times the recommended dosage, 5 times fives days apart, never changed the water, never ran carbon, never seen another redbug...

i think like many other have, that the dosage is not the cure but the time it is taken is...

i agree and recommend removing any of your ornamental shrimp and crabs, as well as the cleaners you wish to keep...stars and nems and all others not crustacean will be fine

91yota
02/03/2009, 10:05 PM
i never do water changes after dosing either, but i dont keep shrimp or crabs anymore :) the OP has shrimp and wants to place them back in the tank... hence the recommendation for the water change ;)