PDA

View Full Version : NEw tank syndrome...BOOOOO

LISound
02/03/2009, 10:52 AM
Well, I knew this could happen. I was trying to do things slow but it seems i have new tank syndrome.
I have a nasty outbreak of Dino's and a little GHA.

I wanted to replace some of my rock, which has been in the tank for 4-5 years.
so I used some old rock which i gave an acid bath too. 3 weeks ago, I took the tank apart and removed some coral to give to friends which was on some live rock.
So I ended up decreasing my bio filtration by removing those rocks and adding the new dry clean ones.
I know have more rock in the tank but it not all live.
how long will I have to wait before things get back to normal?

Is there anything i can do to speed up the process?

The dinos are killing some corals. I've increase PH-now runs 8.2-8.5, increased flow and WC's
running GFO and some cheato.

burnah
02/03/2009, 01:15 PM
you might think about dosing carbon sources (like vodka http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php) to speed up the population of bacteria, but be sure to have a skimmer and not use too much!

LISound
02/03/2009, 08:14 PM
I thought about it but figured it would be best to go natural. Last time I tried Vodka, I had an HA outbreak. How long does it take to recolanize a rock with bacteria?
a cycle take a month, so i would guess no longer than 4 weeks?

burnah
02/03/2009, 08:30 PM
yeah i would think so. but it could still leak some p04 for some time

9501gle
02/03/2009, 10:14 PM
When I started my tank and a few times in between when I would add new rock it would take as long as 4 to 6 months for the rock to really settle in. I know this isnt what you want to hear but it has been my experience. The best way ive found to add new rock is put it in the my sump which has no bright lights on it for at least a month or longer then replace or add it to the display tank.

LISound
02/04/2009, 04:06 PM
hummm. that could be tough. i don't have a sump. maybe better to buy good new rock from a reputable source?

I did pick up up a few small rocks with a ton of life on them...maybe it's time.