wisco-reef
02/03/2009, 03:12 PM
IVE HAD MY TANK FOR A FEW MONTHS AND SPENT ALITTLE OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS ON

50LBS OF LIVE ROCK
SEVERAL TYPES OF CORAL
SEVERAL REEF FISH
SUFFICENT LIGHTING
CRUSHED CORAL
ALL THE BASICS NOW I NEED TO KNOW IF I NEED A SKIMMER AND WHAT SIZE FOR A 55 GL.
ALSO WHAT ABOUT TESTING EQUIPMENT. RIGHT NOW ALL I TEST FOR IS SALITY AND THATS AT ABOUT 22 OR .22 I CANT REMEMBER BUT WHAT ELSE DO I ABSOLUTY NEED TO TEST FOR.

ReefingMadness
02/03/2009, 03:30 PM
I am sure you will get varying answers. I run a skimmer as well as most others here. Some people have run succesful systems long-term w/o a skimmer. I consider it to be the most important piece of reef equipment I own. As for the testing equipment. Consider getting a good brand such as Salifert, LaMotte, or the like. Neccesary tests are alkalinity, PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. In reef tank, it is highly suggested to test for calcium, magnesium, and phosphates as well.

fatdaddy
02/03/2009, 03:36 PM
Definitely pick up a nitrate test kit. Personally I'd skip the ammonia and nitrite as I never used it after the few times I tested. I'd also recommend a Phosphate test. And, if you plan on getting corals, you'll also need a Ca+ test and alkalinity test.

As for a skimmer, I'd recommend one. They pull out a lot of nasty junk. You can live without one if you have a *large* biofilter and grow chaeto. I'd recommend one about 2x your aquarium size as they also provide good gas exchange. I like ASM units.

btw, don't buy one off ebay. I've had to debug every one I bought there w/ bad motors, GFI issues (bad motors again), and cracked plastic. Just say no.

I've had persistent nitrate problems, so I'm just getting around to setting up a refugium and deep sand bed. However, I'll still be agressively skimming until it starts to make a dent in the system.

saltylife1
02/03/2009, 03:48 PM
i use a skimmer on my tank and recommend them to anyone who asks. you can run without a skimmer but when you see what it pulls out of the water i think you will decide to go with one.

xskyzx
02/03/2009, 03:58 PM
you dont need too if you change your water weekly (20%), but it will help out a lot if you run a skimmer(which most of us do). for 55gal over a thousand is not a lot((3-5k). you could raise your salinity up to 1.025.

Aquarist007
02/03/2009, 05:31 PM
There are three kinds of the bacteria in the nitrogen reducing cycle:
aerobic---live on the surface of the live rock and sand bed--reduce ammonia to nitrites
anaerobic bacteria--live in the crevices of the live rock and the deeper layers of the sand bed---reduce nitrites to nitrates.

anoxic bacteria--live in the deeper core of the live rock and the deepest layers of the sand bed---reduce nitrates to nitrogen gas which leaves the system.

without the anoxic bacteria nitrates are not totally converted and can stay in the system.
this is where bioballs and filter media fail to reduce the nitrate levels in your tank--they can't support the anoxic bacteria.

lots of live rock is the most effecient way of reducing nitrates

a deep sand bed is also a great way.

cheato macro algae or other suitable macroalgae will reduce nitrates and phosphates--but you have to harvest it (remove some of it) regualarily. Otherwise when it dies the absorbed nitrates and phosphates can be imported back into the water column.

reef rubble---it is doubtful if it can house the anoxic bacteria

protein skimmer--does reduce some nitrates and phosphates but it is more function in reducing other organic compounds that are in the water.

running carbon--reduces a certain type of organic compounds that cause yellowing of the water--at the same time some nitrates and phosphates are absorbed

The functionality of a refugium then, is two fold--removing nitrates and phosphates from your system
Some choices----just cheato or macro alage
a deep sand bed---when run in a refugium it is called a remote deep sand bed
or a combination of both.

My choice for a skimmer would be a Remora C for a 55 gal.

Aquarist007
02/03/2009, 05:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14309973#post14309973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wisco-reef
IVE HAD MY TANK FOR A FEW MONTHS AND SPENT ALITTLE OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS ON

your not even close yet to participating fully in this hobby;)

Sisterlimonpot
02/03/2009, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14311095#post14311095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
There are three kinds of the bacteria in the nitrogen reducing cycle:
aerobic---live on the surface of the live rock and sand bed--reduce ammonia to nitrites
anaerobic bacteria--live in the crevices of the live rock and the deeper layers of the sand bed---reduce nitrites to nitrates.

anoxic bacteria--live in the deeper core of the live rock and the deepest layers of the sand bed---reduce nitrates to nitrogen gas which leaves the system.

without the anoxic bacteria nitrates are not totally converted and can stay in the system.
this is where bioballs and filter media fail to reduce the nitrate levels in your tank--they can't support the anoxic bacteria.

lots of live rock is the most effecient way of reducing nitrates

a deep sand bed is also a great way.

cheato macro algae or other suitable macroalgae will reduce nitrates and phosphates--but you have to harvest it (remove some of it) regualarily. Otherwise when it dies the absorbed nitrates and phosphates can be imported back into the water column.

reef rubble---it is doubtful if it can house the anoxic bacteria

protein skimmer--does reduce some nitrates and phosphates but it is more function in reducing other organic compounds that are in the water.

running carbon--reduces a certain type of organic compounds that cause yellowing of the water--at the same time some nitrates and phosphates are absorbed

The functionality of a refugium then, is two fold--removing nitrates and phosphates from your system
Some choices----just cheato or macro alage
a deep sand bed---when run in a refugium it is called a remote deep sand bed
or a combination of both.

My choice for a skimmer would be a Remora C for a 55 gal.

capn_hylinur
this is the second time ive seen your post. Is that a catch all for more questions that would pop up?

E.intheC
02/03/2009, 06:05 PM
also, ALL CAPS means you're yelling..

I would definitely get a skimmer. It makes life so much easier.