PDA

View Full Version : Octopus Extreme 160 Skimmer

tqui
02/03/2009, 04:12 PM
anyone owns one ????

what's your take on it.... seem to be a good skimmer.

thanks

walmart
02/03/2009, 04:31 PM
I own the 200 (msx), I like it and all but its not what everybody else is producing. I think it is because I have a lower fishload, and due weekly water changes.

From what I have heard and read the 160 is very temperamental, and is a little hard to get adjusted. The pump is mounted under the skimmer, on-top of a stand. This makes for a small footprint, but is a huge hassle to do maintenance on because you have to take the whole skimmer out to get the pump. For me, when I first got the skimmer I was fiddling with the pump it seemed every hour to try and cut down on noise, vibrations and better performance. So to have to take the skimmer out would be very irritating.

Also if your "current tanks" is correct, then I would suggest going with the 200 to have a little extra wiggle room.

schneijt
02/03/2009, 05:58 PM
There is an Octo Extreme thread that is almost always on the first page or two of this forum; it's the best place to go for the information you seek. It will take you a long time to read it all, but it's got everything you need to know about these skimmers.

-Joe

Wgluther
02/04/2009, 02:58 PM
I have the MSX 160 and do not have a problem adjusting it. Worked good out of the box. Walmart is right about having to pull it out of the sump to work on it but the small footprint is worth it to me. The only problem I have had with it was the usual problem people have had with MSX/Octo's, it not starting every time. I cured this by trimming the mesh wheel. Hasn't done it since.

tqui
02/04/2009, 03:58 PM
thanks a bunch ....