PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to control your tank?

Harry_Fish
02/03/2009, 09:07 PM
I currently use a controller but am considering switching.

One thing that concerns me is a controller
tends to be a single failure point.

I am considering breaking it up,
auto topoff unit, light timer unit, etc.

What are others doing?

Thank you

SeanT
02/03/2009, 09:37 PM
You have a Profilux too right?
Guess you could go with Osmolat from Tunze for top off, Profilux Light 2 for lights etc.

I understand your fear of a single piece of equipment breaking and then you being hosed.
That's why I kept my Osmolat, digital timers, chiller etc as back ups. :)

ckoral
02/03/2009, 09:39 PM
Just pre-ordered the digital aquatics reef keeper light (3)!!!

Harry_Fish
02/04/2009, 11:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14313017#post14313017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeanT
You have a Profilux too right?....

Yes and it is apparant that it is a single falure point.

So I am looking to break it back up .

Nice thought but too much faith in a single piece of equiptment.

SeanT
02/04/2009, 02:39 PM
I understand your concerns completely.
Which is, like I said, why I have kept all my individual pieces.

Don't make yourself paranoid, the next step would be having a slightly larger tank built to fit your current tank into, in case the current tank breaks. :)

Harry_Fish
02/04/2009, 02:43 PM
I just built a 180 to replace my leaking 72 :)

Rouselb
02/05/2009, 05:21 PM
It depends on how you set things up. I have an AC JR. I use it to control all lights, MH fans, (2) heaters out of the (4) that i run, and for Co2 for the Ca reactor. I then use the following independent of the controller: LMIII for ATO, (2) heaters, Fuge/Frag lighting. A controller is a great thing to have, it makes things easy. But your right, you need to have a few backups.

chadfarmer
02/05/2009, 05:26 PM
i run a profilux also but i am looking for a backup unit

snorvich
02/05/2009, 06:06 PM
I have everything individually controlled although my timer functions are all centrally controlled. I don't trust anything which uses a probe as an input point for control purposes. They are only used informationally.

areze
02/05/2009, 06:46 PM
I use a ACIII.

I dont run any system crushing equipment off of it. return and flow is all on its own power and control.

the rest, CO2 can go nutso, cant really hurt the tank. heaters, if they cut off, the tank bottoms out around 78, if it sticks on, the heaters have their own thermostats.