PDA

View Full Version : I need pumps! suggestions needed for sump and VS2 skimmer

offroadr
02/03/2009, 10:52 PM
I am building a 90 gal tank with a 20 gal sump. My original plan was to drill the 20 gal so I could use my existing Quiet One external pump but I got it out tonight (sitting for a few years) and its not in good shape.

So now I need pump(s) for sump return and also to run my Lifereef VS2 skimmer.

I am not sure if I need 2 in-sump pumps to handle it or get one large external and run both.

suggestions?

offroadr
02/04/2009, 10:55 AM
any suggestions?

pjf
02/04/2009, 12:07 PM
Contact Lifereef regarding pump specifications. Most skimmers need a dedicated pump. I think that using a single pump for skimmer & return will result in a large portion of water bypassing the skimmer.

When using two pumps (skimmer & return), I would match the skimmer intake rate to the aquarium return rate. This would minimize unskimmed water from bypassing the skimmer, returning to the aquarium, and mixing back into the water column.

I am partial to external return pumps. I'm currently using an Iwaki MD-20RXT for my 75g aquarium.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/93304Refugium_07Sept2008.JPG
When using an elbow to reduce footprint, be sure to oversize the bulkhead and elbow. For example, if the pump inlet is 1" in diameter, use a 1-1/4" bulkhead & elbow.

connecticut cichlids
02/04/2009, 04:12 PM
Lifereef svs 2-24....Mag 9.5