PDA

View Full Version : Bulkreef 2 part question

rort
02/04/2009, 05:11 AM
I just got my complete set of 2 part additive. I have had a small problem with my Alk being so high and continueing to raise. I havnt been adsif anything to my tank and cannot figure out where it is coming from or how to lower it...

But the question is now that I have two part additives and they are supposed to be added together, what do I do about adding the Alk part? Leave it put and just add the Calcium?

Would love some help! I am slowly getting my Calcium a little higher and my Mag up before I start dosing so I have time to try and fix this Alk problem!

Ken Good
02/04/2009, 05:44 AM
There is an article that discusses what to do when the alk. is high and the calcium is low. The suggestions are to either do some water changes or to dose calcium until you get the two back in the target zone. Raising Magnesium will also be helpful. Also it is advisable not to raise calcium more than 50 points a day and magnesium more than 100 points a day.

Good luck.

Ken

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2009, 05:45 AM
I just got my complete set of 2 part additive. I have had a small problem with my Alk being so high and continueing to raise. I havnt been adsif anything to my tank and cannot figure out where it is coming from or how to lower it...

Are you using artificial rock or topping off with tap water?

It is fine to boost the calcium to whatever target you have. This shows how much to use:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

rort
02/04/2009, 05:49 AM
I am using all LR and making my own 0TDS ro/di water. I did dose a long time ago to bring up the pH of my water changes but that's it.

And I was following what the bulkreevfwebsite said about raising the levels only so much at a time! :-)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2009, 07:22 AM
What is the alkalintiy level?

Alkalinity does not rise on its own. Are you sure you are adding nothing? Maybe it is just staying high and bouncing around from previous dosing.

fishysteve
02/04/2009, 08:12 AM
What are the calcium, mag, and alk numbers in your freshly made water change water? Maybe the levels are out of whack.

rort
02/04/2009, 10:48 AM
I will be doing a water change tomorrow so I will let u know then... Havnt taken the levels of that yet... :-/

The only thing I have ever truly dosed was pH buffer. The absolutely only other thing I have added t my tank was Ruby Reef kick ich about 2 weeks ago as my Tomini tang got it out of no where!

rort
02/04/2009, 10:49 AM
And my exact Alk level is at 12 dKH

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2009, 10:50 AM
All pH buffers will have a big alkalinity boosting effect, and they are generally not a suitable way to solve pH problems in a reef aquarium. :)

rort
02/04/2009, 11:35 AM
Ya i was using it when I only had a FOWLR but just setting up reef... Any ideas on getting it down or just water changes and time?

And Randy, should I just not add Alk when daily dosing and just dose Calcium until I see the Alk levels drop?

bychance
02/04/2009, 11:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14316153#post14316153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rort
And my exact Alk level is at 12 dKH

I've always considered 12dKh to be the high end of acceptable.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/04/2009, 01:10 PM
And Randy, should I just not add Alk when daily dosing and just dose Calcium until I see the Alk levels drop?

That's a fine plan, yes. :)