PDA

View Full Version : sump/fuge stock list

burnah
02/04/2009, 02:18 PM
hey there. i have a sump which takes about 15 gallons and the fuge section is about 7 gallons. it is currently filled with fist sized LR pieces.

I will add a light later for frag growing and would like to know what else i could put in there and what you have in your fuge, critter wise.

Rouselb
02/05/2009, 04:10 PM
a good clean up crew would work. Are you going to have sand?? macro??

Agu
02/05/2009, 04:56 PM
My sump/ fuge turned into another reef tank,

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2DSCN3229.jpg

;)

reefscape15
02/06/2009, 06:56 PM
AGU i love the quote!

Burnah - Any type of macro you can find, the more variety the better, a few feather dusters, mangroves, bottle brush plants, and if your daring try a small gorgonian. I had a small one that didn't do very well in my display so i put it in my fuge and it came back to life. As for cleanup, definately nassarius snails and a brittle star, maybe just a couple mexican red leg hermits. You really don't want a lot of things that are going to eat your harvest. If it gets overgrown, you can always remove it by hand

burnah
02/07/2009, 04:37 AM
i will have no sand. i am dosing vodka so i think having macro will be difficult.

i already have quite a few liverock pieces with feather dusters in it. gorgonians seem like a good idea, and so do snails. i think im going to ditch the hermits as i do not trust them in being vegiterians. are there any other things you would recommend for a sump without macro? i guess nothing that eats pods..

reefscape15
02/07/2009, 07:19 AM
Really i haven't found that there is anything as efficiant at removing waste nutrients than macro. I guess i will have to read some about the vodka dosing, it really doesn't sound like a very good idea, and sounds rather costly but i know nothing about it. Def keep a brittle star in your fuge to help rid detrius, and 1 or 2 hermits wouldn't eat fast enough to deminish your stock. I have found that the mexican red legs (not to be confused with scarlet leg) eat the best