PDA

View Full Version : Filter for mantis?

Fig70g
02/05/2009, 10:34 AM
Hi all! I recently started asking questions since I am getting a 30g ready for a peacock I purchased for my LFS that they are currently holding for me.
I have read a lot of the "getting a tank ready for mantis" type threads, and everyone mentions a HOB filter. I know these are simple filters, but do I use it the same as I do for my reef? Meaning, most of the filter pads and media is removed and replaced with LR like I would do on a FOWLR or reef? I know most of that media can be a nitrate factory, but didnt see anybody mention what they keep in that filter.
I will be putting the mantis in a 30g tank (he is about 5" already), how thick should the acrylic sheet be covering the bottom?

Also, just to mention, I had put up a thread in my local club here on RC about any LFS that may have mantis, and half the resposes were negative about them breaking glass and being problems all around. Kind of sad since I am so intrigued by the videos I have seen of them. I also used to keep different types of aggressive lizards (monitors) so I am excited to watch and study how a mantis moves, attacks, interacts, etc.....

I look forward to posting pics when I pick him up saturday!

black96ss
02/05/2009, 10:42 AM
i had my peacock in a 20 long with a fluval 405 with all of the media in there and my levels were all perfect. i never tested phosphates or kh or calcium but he is still thriving and i rarely have any issues with the care for him. they are less sensitive than people crack them up to be. i hope you enjoy having your new mantis. if you want to make him happy put his tank somewhere near a tv so he can watch. we have had 3 and every one of them loved to watch tv

Thurge
02/05/2009, 12:16 PM
I stuffed my HOB filters with LR rubble.
for a 30 I would go with the biggest Emperor, or like, filter and stuff it to the brim.
1/4" should be plenty for the bottom. The idea is that they hit the acrylic and it spreads the force of blow out over a greater area of the glass.

Fig70g
02/05/2009, 01:58 PM
ok, so it sounds like I can go either/or on the filter media. I am work so I dont know the filter model or even brand since it was one I found in my equipment box in the garage. It doesnt have any media, so for now Ill prob just do rubble, but it isnt a good sized filter, so when I upgrade Ill try using the media.
Just wanna make sure my mantis is happy!
black96ss- I like the TV idea!
Thurge- I always read your Marvin the Martian quote and think of it in his accent, makes me laugh!

Tangalong
02/05/2009, 08:00 PM
I just bought 2 Emperor 280's..one to use and one back-up. I love the power they have for moving the water over the tank and that you can use the filter cartridges for carbon, floss, or leave them out. I have a 30 Gal Hex so have the extended intake to get the crud from the bottom...hope my future Mantis doesn't find it too interesting.

--=============

Curly