PDA

View Full Version : question for guys running a skimmer

jun_18T
02/05/2009, 11:37 AM
hi there people....

im really very frustrated with my CPR SR3 skimmer right now. these skimmers are not cheap in any way but they really work like crap. do you guys have problems with micro bubbles every time you do water change??? of course when i do my water changes i turn off everything right. and as soon as i turn everything back on....massive(i mean a LOT) of micro bubbles comes out of the skimmer. is this normal???? dont tell me that its just a break in period because i got this thing for over a month now. the bubbles will settle down after 2-3 days but it will still have a little bit until i do another water change. then cycle begins again. its so frustrating because i paid the dollars and it works like the oceanic skimmer in my opinion:mad2:

can you guys give me some input....should i just go get another skimmer??? im in a brink of just getting a tunze 9002 skimmer.

thanks!

Timanator
02/05/2009, 12:19 PM
I have always used skimmers in my nano. The key I found to keep things running consistently is to make sure you manage your water levels. I top off once in the morning and once at night and even my CPR skimmed really nicely.

Now I have a Sapphire skimmer that uses 2 pumps, it regulates the internal water level so the levels in the tnak do not affect it much any more.

jun_18T
02/05/2009, 12:35 PM
i do understand that i have to keep the water level consistently but still it never produced a dark brown skimmate...its always that light green skimmate only.

my main question is....is it normal that the skimmer produces a lot of micro bubbles every time i do my water changes???

bpkenn
02/05/2009, 12:37 PM
ive heard the green tea skimmate is normal for the CPR skimmer. Have you tried turning the skimmer on, before replacing it in the chamber after the water change?

Jadams
02/05/2009, 12:54 PM
Get a Tunze 9002 DOC Skimmer...From the second I plugged it in, It was skimming, and i have NEVER seen a micro bubble.

Ive had the microbubble problem with a remora i used to have, but the tunze is incredible!

gas4544
02/05/2009, 01:10 PM
There is nothing wrong with tea green colored skimmate. I run my Bermuda Aquatics Rogue skimmer wet and it produce tea green skimmate. Besides, if there is not much DOC's in your water, there is only so much stuff for the skimmer to pull out.

The best skimmate is not necessarily thick, black and stinky.

bpkenn
02/05/2009, 01:49 PM
right. the type of DOC's in your water will also dictate the color of the skimmate. green is not bad, clear is bad :)

E.intheC
02/05/2009, 02:18 PM
to answer your orig. question though.. when you change the water in the tank, it could be adding microbubbles because you are using products like Prime or other dechlorinators..