PDA

View Full Version : Lights and filters

Thisseemsfishy
02/05/2009, 03:02 PM
Can I use florescent lights on a FOWLR tank? Also do I need a protein skimmer if I’m using a sump for mechanical filtration or should I only use LR, LS and a skimmer? Please recommend a brand, I have a 55g. Thanks

divewsharks
02/05/2009, 04:05 PM
When you say fluorescent, do you mean normal fluorescent tubes or T5's, PC's, either way the answer is yes. If there is nothing in the tank that requires/demands light, then yes normal fluorescents aquarium tubes will work just fine. You'll still likely want to get ones made for aquariums, just because of the spectrum of light they produce, much more pleasant on the eyes.
A skimmer is recommended still, as it removes dissolved organics from the water. What kind of mechanical filtration are you looking at, something like a Fluval or Eheim cansiter filter or wet/dry?

Thisseemsfishy
02/06/2009, 12:53 AM
Ive got a wet/dry but i was thinking about just using the sump to house a protein skimmer...? Ive got the whole freshwater setup (bio balls and mesh filter). Ive heard so much about using or not using the bio media because it will fight with the LR or create nitrites. Do you have an advice on using my bio-media with LR? Pretty much i want to know if I can skip the mechanical filtration and just use LR and LS with a protein skimmer? Or can i skip the protein skimmer and just use the sump like a freshwater with a filter and bio media? any help is appreciated.

moondoggy4
02/06/2009, 01:10 AM
You could remove the bio balls and put in a sock then put in a skimmer in maybe a Vertex skimmer they are new and inexpensive.

Thisseemsfishy
02/06/2009, 01:13 AM
A sock? Am i missing something? Use the sock as a filter? So i really dont need bio balls of a mesh filter?

divewsharks
02/06/2009, 01:17 PM
sock = filter sock (get them at LFS or online), water from the display tank dumps first into a filter sock, then to the protein skimmer, removes the bigger stuff from the water.
You don't need the bio balls at all, just use LR, LS and the skimmer, put some more rock down in the sump.