PDA

View Full Version : question on dead fish in system

basssnake
02/05/2009, 03:16 PM
I have a system with about 275 gallons of water. Lots of live rock, deep sandbed in sump, and 2inch sandbed in display. I have red mangroves and a little chaeto algae.

I have a dead atlantic blue tang(he was about 2 1/2 inches to 3inches) and he died. i can't get to where he is at without ripping down corals, and then moving a bunch of rock. Not to mention that i can't hardly reach the rocks that i would have to move(the tank is 4ft long x 3ft wide x 2ft deep, so makes it hard to reach a lot of spots, and of course, one of those is where the fish is at).

I have about 5 serpent stars and one brittle(i haven't seen him, but i think he is in there somewhere), two emerald crabs, and about 250-300 little blue leg hermits.

With the system this large, at least 300lbs of live rock, and all the cleaners, do i have much to worry about the major effort of getting him out?? I am concerned about enough ammonia to hurt my corals and anemomes. Or would the bacteria likely process the ammonia and with cleaners eating the remains, would i have nothing much to worry about?? But if it will probably be ok, i don't want to go through the "horrible" effort to dig it out.

Give me some opinions, etc. thanks

wartskin
02/05/2009, 03:24 PM
I would think that a system of that size would be able to handle a fish of that size. If you are overly worried, make or purchase enough saltwater to have on hand and do a few water changes in the next week. But IMO it will most likely go unnoticed! I had a fish about that size in a 120 with a 40 sump die and it went almost unnoticed. I just happened to see it getting eaten.

cloak
02/05/2009, 03:25 PM
If you have an extra powerhead lying around, or perhaps just use one of the ones in the tank, you could try to flush it out.

ScooterBlenny
02/05/2009, 03:48 PM
In a system that large, and with that much cleanup crew, I'll bet there won't be a body left by the time you could dig him out.

ct_vol
02/05/2009, 03:57 PM
I agree... Cleanup Crew will take care of the carcass in no time...

basssnake
02/05/2009, 04:16 PM
Ok, well, I just wanted to get some opinions. I know they have been eating on it the last couple days, i can barely see where he is lodged, but i can tell it isn't eaten all up yet. So, still, no problem?

Any other opinons to add??