PDA

View Full Version : Transformation of my Birdsnest

Speckled Grouper
02/05/2009, 08:11 PM
Here is when I got it in September
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n67/SpeckledGrouper/Perfecto%20265g/Birdsnest.jpg

In December - browned out
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n67/SpeckledGrouper/Perfecto%20265g/Coral8.jpg

And today - Hot Pink and beautiful
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n67/SpeckledGrouper/Perfecto%20265g/PinkBirdsnest.jpg

The bleached branches are from getting stung by another coral I since removed.

Lighting: Solaris LED !

vetdog
02/05/2009, 08:12 PM
looking nice!

capture
02/05/2009, 08:27 PM
was everything the same between the 3 photos?
did it just take time to evolve that way?

Speckled Grouper
02/05/2009, 08:56 PM
No, everything was not the same.
First off my alk was through the roof. Then we hooked up an ozone generator and the probe was reading wrong and it was probably through the roof too!
Alk is now normal, ozone is where it should be and I have started to dose Vodka 2 weeks ago.....

jaxspsreef
02/06/2009, 12:01 AM
WOW, what a comeback!!

91yota
02/06/2009, 06:28 AM
what ISO did you shoot those pics at and how much did you bump the saturation on that last shot? big, big difference and somewhat suspect when all of the rocks suddenly come out super blue compared to the before pic ;)

Reefer07
02/06/2009, 12:03 PM
Really nice come around. It's interesting that you are running LED too. Got any more pics of your tank? or pieces?

dextermorgan
02/06/2009, 12:54 PM
beautiful!

FelipeRB
02/06/2009, 01:54 PM
so nice!! i like so much the combination whit that brain at the birdnest botton.

wycombes
02/06/2009, 03:10 PM
That is a nice pink! Amazing how different it looks.

gasman059
02/06/2009, 03:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14330737#post14330737 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 91yota
what ISO did you shoot those pics at and how much did you bump the saturation on that last shot? big, big difference and somewhat suspect when all of the rocks suddenly come out super blue compared to the before pic ;)
LOL- why there's so much ( don't hate-u just wonder why are your caps dying and have no answers right LOL)of this here in RC.
The coral has truly evolved and the pics usually don't do them critters justice, personally I've seen this colony and the change sure shows great husbandry and attention to details.
great going Andrea
BTW u prove me wrong but still I detest LEDS .:rolleyes:

moonlightxpress
02/06/2009, 08:58 PM
dude nice man...what settings you have your solaris?? in terms of percentage on the day whites and day blues..thanks ..

roblack
02/06/2009, 09:18 PM
Nice color progression! Don't you love it when your corals get all happy and start looking real pretty. :D Manny, leds aren't so bad, but I too am having problems with my solaris and switched back to mh and T5 recently while the light gets fixed. Have to say that I miss the versatility in lighting with the solaris, but had forgotten how nice mhs look on my dt. Not sure I will put the solaris back on this tank, may run my frag tank with it, if I even ever get it back from PFO.

Speckled Grouper
02/07/2009, 12:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14330737#post14330737 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 91yota

The “photographer” should chime in here in a second with more details on the camera settings, but all I can tell you is, why would I post a “photoshopped” picture when I am merely trying to document the true evolvement of the color of this coral? You are more than welcome to visit and see for yourself! And I do have witnesses :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14332713#post14332713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer07
Really nice come around. It's interesting that you are running LED too. Got any more pics of your tank? or pieces?

Thank you, you can find lots more pictures of my built here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1437901&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14334291#post14334291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059

LOL, Manny, you know I will make these LED’s work, if it can be done, I will do it...:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14336569#post14336569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moonlightxpress
dude nice man...what settings you have your solaris?? in terms of percentage on the day whites and day blues..thanks ..

Whites are at 70%, blues are at 100%, lunar blues at 5%, so the fish can get some sleep ;)

kryppy
02/07/2009, 12:57 AM

Hello, I took the pics.

They were shot at ISO 100. Additional info is in the EXIF data of the pic. The blue hue of the rocks is a white balance issue.
All of those pictures were straight out of the camera, no processing.

I just took another with proper white balance. Auto contrast and +6 saturation.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/kr-yppy/birdsnest/IMG_2597.jpg

Crop.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/kr-yppy/birdsnest/IMG_2597-1.jpg

Todd March
02/07/2009, 01:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14334291#post14334291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gasman059
LOL- why there's so much ( don't hate-u just wonder why are your caps dying and have no answers right LOL)of this here in RC.
The coral has truly evolved and the pics usually don't do them critters justice, personally I've seen this colony and the change sure shows great husbandry and attention to details.
great going Andrea

There's so much of this on RC, because of the likes of the pics posted on this thread. I was right with 91yota, that last picture was not only dramatically differently colored with the Stylophora, but the rocks and everything else as well; the artifice was strong. The later white balanced pics posted by kryppy appear much more accurate and indeed revealing as to the coral' evolved color...

However I applaud 91yota, and anyone else that points out pixel color issues in threads that are attempting to document color changes in corals with back dated pics.

kryppy
02/07/2009, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14338270#post14338270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
There's so much of this on RC, because of the likes of the pics posted on this thread. I was right with 91yota, that last picture was not only dramatically differently colored with the Stylophora, but the rocks and everything else as well; the artifice was strong. The later white balanced pics posted by kryppy appear much more accurate and indeed revealing as to the coral' evolved color...

However I applaud 91yota, and anyone else that points out pixel color issues in threads that are attempting to document color changes in corals with back dated pics.

It is a shame I didn't know the coral was going to have such a dramatic color change, or I would have taken more care in documenting it. LMAO, if anything I thought the Solaris was going to either bleach or brown it..

Unfortunately we have quite a few tanks here and every single one has dramatically different lighting, so I am resetting the white balance frequently when taking pics...and don't always get it right.

Todd March
02/07/2009, 10:17 AM
It really did color up amazingly under the Solaris... I can't wait till the kinks are out of the LED units... I really want one, they seem so ideal on so many levels. But if I read about one more person having to ship their unit back to PFO to be fixed, I'm gunna scream!

moonlightxpress
02/07/2009, 04:43 PM
thanks for the post man, now i know its me and not the solaris lol..my colors are kinda off ..trying to tweak the settings on mine..

kryppy
02/07/2009, 05:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14339647#post14339647 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
It really did color up amazingly under the Solaris... I can't wait till the kinks are out of the LED units... I really want one, they seem so ideal on so many levels. But if I read about one more person having to ship their unit back to PFO to be fixed, I'm gunna scream!

.LOL, I have taken it apart only twice so far....but have an LED strip sitting there that needs to go in it for my third disassembly in about six months of it being in operation.

Anyway, It is really easy to work on.

kemann
02/07/2009, 06:26 PM
It makes it all worthwhile to have a save like that. It's what keeps me buying the beat up "cheap" corals at the LFS and trying to save them.

kevan

91yota
02/07/2009, 08:40 PM
kryppy, thanks for posting the other 2 pics :)

to Speckled Grouper, good job bringing back a sick looking coral and making it healthy again... i hope you can see why i was skeptical, looking back at the original pics that were posted ;) hopefully no hard feelings

Todd... :)