PDA

View Full Version : Whose Killing My Serpent?

RaveChild
02/05/2009, 08:20 PM
Last weekend I re-aquascaped my tank. Since then I have noticed that something is eating my Harlequin serpent star. I don't really have a lot of live stock in my tank; other then the serpent, there are only 2 brittle stars, a couple of hermit crabs, an ocellaris clown, a neon dottyback and a yellow tang.
My Harlequin only has 1 leg left!! I am fairly sure that it is not stress as his "body" also looks fairly beaten up. Any idea who would be attacking him??

qwikcustoms
02/05/2009, 10:31 PM
Could it be getting its legs chopped by a powerhead intake . I have one starfish that tries to touch my vortech blade at least once a month . After losing three legs you would think it would learn .

Emory Speight
02/06/2009, 07:11 AM
It very well may be as qwikcustoms said, but, If it turns out to be one of the other inhabitants that are responsible, I would put my money on it being the neon dottyback. The one I had was very aggressive towards smaller inverts and also towards some of the fish. A real bully-type. And just like a bully he jumped out of the tank within minutes of my adding a sailfin tang, which worked out great as I was planning to take him out because of his aggressiveness.