PDA

View Full Version : Total score-Free live rock... with hair algae

eros
02/06/2009, 04:35 AM
I was at the LFS today picking up a new powerhead. A guy came in with a bunch of buckets from his tank tear down. To make a long story short, he had some rock but it was covered in hair algae. The store didn't want it so they gave it to me for free! About 30lbs of it! I was totally stoked. The rock is great, looks like Fiji, 3 large pieces but the hair algae is out of control. I brought it home and put it in a large container with some saltwater, a powerhead and a heater. My plan is to keep it in there until the hair algae dissapears, changing the water weekly. Will this work to eliminate the algae and about how long should it take until this rock can be put in my display? The rock is 8 years old, completely cycled.

jener8tionx
02/06/2009, 06:55 AM
That should work. I would run some phosban too though. I have found that rock can have a lot of nutrients that have built up.

metal1971
02/06/2009, 07:35 AM
+1 on what jener8tionx said , but also no light and I'd also use some carbon w/ a phosphate remover.

docalatamu
02/06/2009, 03:57 PM
yup, simply cook the rock, that is all you need to do until it is clean, then throw it into your tank!

eros
02/06/2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys.