PDA

View Full Version : Primarily Butterfly Fish Tank

HOBrien
02/06/2009, 11:08 AM
What is everyones experiences with keeping alot of different Butterfly Fish in one system?

Thanks

AquaKnight
02/06/2009, 12:03 PM
Would love to see a shot at it.

I think one problem might be mixing passive species with boisterous B-flies. Any idea which ones you're thinking about?

HOBrien
02/06/2009, 12:25 PM
I am open to any of them. I know I would put the passive ones in first then add the other later. But this would be in the 400gallon tank I am doing.

mattsilvester
02/06/2009, 02:25 PM
In a 400 gal tank you would have alot of scope. I am not at all sick with envy!!!

To be honest, I think there are no better tank mates for butterflies, than butterflys....... obvisouly, a bit of common sence needs to be applied.....

400 gals.... what sort of dimensions are we talking?

Personally - if I were doing a 400 gal b'fly display, I would go with a themed biotope..... when where else better than the red sea ;)
See here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bstbfsrs.htm

Personally, I would go with:
Heniochus intermedius - Red sea bannerfish x 3
Chaetodon semilarvatus - golden butterfly (pair)
Chaetodon paucifasciatus - red backed butterfly (pair)

With these, I would have tank mates to include:
Asfur Angel
Red Sea Goby
Red Sea 4-line cleaner wrasse

.............. but that's just me ;)

If you want a pure butterfly only tank, you might start by reading here:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BFsBestWrst.htm
Some of my favourites are:
Chaetodon falcula
Chaetodon marleyi
Chaetodon collare

Generally, buterflies will mix and match well with a few notable exceptions - the racoon for example would give any angel a good run for its money....... apply the usual rules, smaller more timid species first, followed by bigger more assertive ones.

The one thing I would say about butterflies is they don't appreciate crowding..... busy, jam packed tanks are not for them...... better to stick to the old fashioned rules of thumb.... 1" per 4-5 gallons.... that gives you a little scope to "push" into it a little bit.

This could be spectacular if it comes to pass.

I have many regrets in my "fish keeping" world - the first that srping to mind are:
(1) Not doing a red sea biotope
(2) Not doing a carribean / western atlantic biotope
(3) Not doing a butterfly community
I always end up on some misgiuded notional quest for something else :rolleyes:

HOBrien
02/06/2009, 02:58 PM
That is some great advice and information Matt and I appreciate it. I was going to have the following with the butterfly's:

Male Bluethroat Trigger
Emperor Angel
Cortez Angel
Black Velvet Angel
Monicle Beam
Porkfish
Fisheri Angel Pair
Harlequin Tusk
Atlantic Blue Tang
Vlamingi Tang
Flame Hawkfish