PDA

View Full Version : Best Skimmer for 280 gallon???????

Sohal Tang Tim
02/06/2009, 07:02 PM
Hello Everyone...I am getting confused in the land of skimmers.....
I have always liked Euroreef, I hear Deltec kicks butt, I hear
that H&S similar to Deltec performance, Bubble King scary price,
etcetc....

What skimmer and model number would you use on a 280 gallon with a 90 gallon sump that you want to put SPS in and have crystal clear water???? and why would you choose that one?

Thanks,

Tim

BlueStag
02/06/2009, 07:26 PM
Look into the new Hurricone skimmer. Pulls lots of air with out the BK price tag. Very good initial reviews are coming from this skimmer. CAT-2 model would be good for your size tank.

Also look into the ATB line and Warner Marine K2 cone skimmers.

Sohal Tang Tim
02/06/2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks...I have not heard of either of those skimmers...
I must be right out of touch with newest technology...
I stopped the hobby about a year ago and now all these new
skimmers are appearing???

Do you feel those are better then Euroreef,Deltec and H&S????

Thanks again,

Tim

BlueStag
02/06/2009, 08:08 PM
Skimmers have improved alot in a short time. In a nut shell, two pumps improved skimming alot. The Askoll/Laguna which is the same engine block as the Red Dragon pump from BK, and the other is the Sicce. Lots more air draw which makes for better skimming.

Mesh wheel skimmers also increased airdraw in skimmers too. Their are pros and cons to it. They seem to max out a skimmer as far as air intake. Do some searches here and you'll find all kinds of threads talking about it. Needle wheel and Pin wheel designs still are the prefered design for those that want to plug and play their skimmers. Mesh is good for those who don't mind tinkering with the pump.

Skimmer body design has also improved to deal with all the extra air. Wider and longer necks to handle the air. Bubble plates to diffuse the turbulence. Steeper necks and Cone shaped necks and Cone shaped bodies allow better transition of the bubbles upward, which skim better.

There are lots of good options for a tank your size.

Another skimmr to look into is the Reeflo 250. The longer neck and upgrade needlewheel seems to work amazing. A few tank of the months run this skimmer.

Here is a small list of skimmers that would work very well and seem to be getting great reviews. I'm watching the Hurricone closely and like what I'm seeing.

Hurricone
MSX, SWX and Octopus Extreme 250 or 300
Reeflo 250
SWX Cone
Warner Marine K2
ATB Cone
ATI Bubblemaster
Bubble King

Sohal Tang Tim
02/06/2009, 09:08 PM
I am glad you said that Stag and thats exactly why I am confused....
One year ago Deltec, H*S, Euro and Bubble King ruled...
Nowwwww....you did not mention the first 3 in your answer...
So this is scaring me and telling me that I better do much more
homework.

Thanks,

Tim

Paulairduck
02/07/2009, 01:20 AM
there are a lot of good skimmers coming out right now, the new hurricone look very interesting.

call reef specailty they will give you honest feedback on their skimmers:D

Plato
02/07/2009, 11:33 AM
This is the Orca 250, it is going on my 275, upgrade from a MR3 dual becket skimmer.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/43482mini-skimmer.bmp Got mine from reef specailty.

sw500
02/07/2009, 11:46 AM
reeflo 250 pro

BlueStag
02/26/2009, 02:02 AM
Deltec, H&S and Euroreef make good skimmers and once were the top of the foodchain for skimmers. Skimmers have improved alot and come down in price. For some reason Deltec, H&S and Euroreefs prices stayed on the pricey side while they did not introduce newer models that really showed that much improvement on design. One of the reasons for the high price to the deltec and h&s, is they often use Eheim pumps which work great but also cost alot. They do have loyal followings and do skim well, they also cost up to twice as much as other skimmers of similar skimming ability. With all the improvements to skimmers some that cost half as much, skim as good or better. For example the Vertex skimmer is outskimming Euroreefs for half the cost.

I also think Deltec, H&S and Euroreef don't get mentioned as much anymore, because when the question best skimmer and money is no object comes up. The answer usually is Bubble King or ATB. They come with a price tag, and are usually unaffordable to the average hobbyist. Most of the skimmers mentioned at the beginning of the thread are heavily influenced by their designs, so they skim very similarly.

Also note that the Reeflo Orca uses a Reeflo external pump and is getting great performance for an affordable price. This is a favorite for large tank owners who want an external skimmer. The Hurricone CAT-2 external seems like its going to be marketed to this same market.

BlueStag
02/26/2009, 03:05 AM
Two skimmers to watch are the new BubbleKing cone and Vertex IN-280. Seems BubbleKing is giving a go at the cone body theory, and have joined the party. $1000.

On the budget side, Vertex has come out with a 10" body skimmer with 6" neck. Little information is out on the pump right now. But for the budget performer, if it skims like other models, this may be the best performer for the money. It cost only $400.

LunarDDS
02/26/2009, 05:51 AM
stag - you should put out a newsletter to keep us all informed

Sohal Tang Tim
02/26/2009, 06:09 AM
thanks for your input Stag...My total belief is that no matter how
economical skimmers become...bottom line is we usually do
and pretty much always will *get what we pay for*.....

My money is on H&S and Deltec....although I wish I could do the
stretch to the bubble king...but notta....In 2 years or so they will
become more affordable..maybe then......

The Orca sounds interesting I must admit.....but....we will see
if it does the test of time. Resale value on Deltec, H&S and Euroreef all comes into decision of what skimmer to buy also...
Like buying a Toyota or Honda...just the resale value alone is
something major to compete with.....

Thanks everyone for their input....I guess I am old school a bit
and not easily convinced of a getting more for less concept...
I do believe those new skimmers are valid however....and I
very much appreciate everyone's input ....it helped me very much
with my decision.

Tim

steveoutlaw
02/26/2009, 01:58 PM
Another thing to be said about the Deltec and H&S and Euroreef is that they have proven sustained performance. I agree that there are a lot of new skimmers on the market that seem to perform well..........I've also seen new skimmers that are quick out of the gate but don't finish the race.

IMHO - Stick with the proven quality leaders as mentioned above. These other newer skimmers may prove to be good.....but why risk your money on that??

Sohal Tang Tim
02/26/2009, 04:22 PM
That makes perfect sense to me Steve,
Thanks alot.....
I am getting to old to take risks..and even the sure things are not
as sure these days ahahaha

H&S it is for me...bought one...

Thanks,

Tim