PDA

View Full Version : Any Vortech tips

trido
02/06/2009, 10:19 PM
I just added a MP20 for a bit more flow on one end of the tank. Its the loudest thing in my living room. Ive read the directions back and forth three times but nothing says what to do in the event of it being loud.

I have an AGA 210 built in with a barracuda CL, several tunze nanos, a seio and a MJ mod. I know the vortech shouldnt be as loud as as it is now.

Any helpful hints?

qwikcustoms
02/06/2009, 10:28 PM
They do make a lot of noise . I am using two 40's and these tricks help but you still hear them .. Make sure it is properly aligned wet/dry side . If you are using it in short pulse (wave/blue) mode you can turn down the speed and adjust the wave by lengthening the pulse frequency . It takes some adjusting but you can get the same wave and the slower speed is alot quiter . Hope this helps .

unbreakable
02/06/2009, 10:43 PM
mp20 on a 210? i would have bought an mp40. i have two of them and theyre not loud, the humming from my return pump is loud

make sure you cleaned the glass, put it at the correct pin adjustment. once that's done, move the propeller housing inside the tank and adjust it slowly and listen to the noise it produces.. the quieter is the better aligned it will be

if you have it on at full speed you will hear it ramp up since the motor is outside of the tank

trido
02/06/2009, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14337356#post14337356 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unbreakable
[B]mp20 on a 210? i would have bought an mp40. i have two of them and theyre not loud, the humming from my return pump is loud

Yep, MP20 on a 210. I figured I'd spend the extra $100 on the upgrade kit later if the pump impresses me. So far, Im glad I saved the $100. I already have 13,000GPH (61X) on the tank so, this is a test.

All of my equipment is in a remote tank room so my tank is almost dead silent. This is the loudest thing in the living room (except the TV) regardless of alignment. I guess Ill have to try some more tweaking tomorrow when I get around to it.
Thanks for the input

EcoTech Marine
02/07/2009, 01:41 PM
Make sure the pump is properly aligned and that the pin spacer is set correctly without any bent pins (bent pins will make noise). An MP20 should be essentially dead silent, whereas an MP40w may make some noise.

Also, and very importantly, it will quiet down as the wet side components absorb water and seat themselves over the first few days.

calvertbill
02/07/2009, 04:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14340920#post14340920 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EcoTech Marine
Make sure the pump is properly aligned and that the pin spacer is set correctly without any bent pins (bent pins will make noise). An MP20 should be essentially dead silent, whereas an MP40w may make some noise.

Also, and very importantly, it will quiet down as the wet side components absorb water and seat themselves over the first few days.

Even my MP-40s are essentially quiet as long as they're lined up properly.

Joe
02/07/2009, 07:35 PM
Also, make sure there are no air bubbles between the magnet and the wet-side cover/backing (the part up against the inside of the glass).

Joe

pendergraft
02/07/2009, 07:46 PM
I have two 40's in my 90g and one seems to be louder/stronger than the other. I have them on reef crest mode (stronger tidal mode). But the one kicks butt compared to the other one. Anyone have that problem?

Anemonebuff
02/07/2009, 07:53 PM
When mine is on full blast(green) it seems to switch from really fast to.....somewhat fast, like it is still ramping up and down a bit. The splash of the overflows masks the pump noise IME.

Joe
02/07/2009, 07:55 PM
Also, make sure there are no air bubbles between the magnet and the wet-side cover/backing (the part up against the inside of the glass).

Joe