PDA

View Full Version : power outage

bigbearcrain
02/07/2009, 04:39 PM
Hello
Need some help. Power outage has left my tank dead. need to know what can be saved and what cannot. the things that can need some ideas. Like he not so live rock. can it be place in someones refuge for a few days after soaking in freash water for a few or will that hurt the other persons tank. sand i think will be tossed. by the way this was a 220 reef........Been back in saltwater for little over a year had the setup going great. but never had to deal with this before.

thanks tom

fireman676
02/07/2009, 05:07 PM
i had the same thing happen on '03. i just broke the tank down and cleaned it out. replaced the rock and started over. your rock wont be completely dead so it will cycle pretty quick.

bigbearcrain
02/07/2009, 05:14 PM
So your saying i can leave the rock in and cycle like normal. Will have to remove the sand though. already black spots. lost all my corals, fish and inverts which really sucks. Dang insurance refuses to replace anything..... Guess i will have to get a generator as a back up. 2 power outages in 6 months........last time the tank didnt freeze.

Blown76mav
02/07/2009, 05:30 PM
A generator is a must for this hobby. My wife just looks at me funny when I plug in the fish tank and not the house. I told her we can wrap up in blankets the fish can't and I don't want to spend that kind of money again.

bigbearcrain
02/07/2009, 05:36 PM
yea my wife was looking aweful wierd when i said i wanted to buy one for the aquarium when i first got this one. Now she is begging me to get one. althought she wants one big enough for the whole house. losing 6000 in an aqaurium was an eye opener spending a week in a hotel and alot of foodstuff she has her mind changed.....All that and it started the day before her bday.

Blown76mav
02/07/2009, 05:40 PM
Funny how the wives come around when there is money involved. :D

bigbearcrain
02/07/2009, 05:43 PM
she really hates the idea of having to start over, although she really loved the tank in its prime. but hey i get to go spend more money

Blown76mav
02/07/2009, 05:45 PM
Now you can do the "tank you dreamed of" bit. I'm in the process of upgrading from a 65g to a 150g because the Angel is going to get too big. I can't wait to stock this one.

bigbearcrain
02/07/2009, 06:07 PM
it tax time...was going to get a newer car just have to drive the one i got for another year. reef has to come first... although my 220 seems a litle small now, knew i should have gotten that 300.....

Brent RH
02/07/2009, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14342754#post14342754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown76mav
A generator is a must for this hobby. My wife just looks at me funny when I plug in the fish tank and not the house. I told her we can wrap up in blankets the fish can't and I don't want to spend that kind of money again.
not to get off topic but does the voltage stay the same on you generator. Mine goes from 112 - 123. about every 10 seconds the motor pulsates. I think this may not be great for my tank. For sure not my ballasts.

Blown76mav
02/07/2009, 08:01 PM
Never noticed any flucuation. I'll have to look next time.

Brent RH
02/07/2009, 08:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14343938#post14343938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blown76mav
Never noticed any flucuation. I'll have to look next time.
Mine is a construction site generator. You have a nice one and mine just gets me by I would guess :o

epstein
02/07/2009, 08:42 PM
how long was power out?

Blown76mav
02/07/2009, 08:47 PM
Mines just a cheap one from TSC farm store. I use it for my race car mainly.

Brent RH
02/07/2009, 08:55 PM
I'm going to wire in a automatic starting generator in my next house for the whole house.

snakeklr
02/07/2009, 09:55 PM
we too lost our power for 8 days. totall loss. I took and shook-cleaned all the LR out. put in the fuge tank. then started getting all the dead stuff out. Amazing what the cold water did to the bristleworms. Was soup floating at the top of the tank lol.

The sad part was the tank just turned 1yr old. :(

mikersx02
02/07/2009, 10:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14343932#post14343932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brent RH
not to get off topic but does the voltage stay the same on you generator. Mine goes from 112 - 123. about every 10 seconds the motor pulsates. I think this may not be great for my tank. For sure not my ballasts.

You can get a battery backup (for computers) that has AVR (automatic voltage regulation) I have a pretty big one on my tank that runs just my bio filter canister and one power head. Thats all I need minimally to keep the tank from tanking.

THe UPS i have is a APC 1500... Ive had one power outage that lasted 4 or 5 hours and it only had one notch out of 6 or 7 of the battery life gone. I think that was before I removed the heater and extra power heads and filters from it.

I have a deep cycle battery that I use for fishing (trolling motor) that I have as a backup to my backup and a ac/dc converter to switch over off the battery backup in case it goes on for a while. It can convert 250 watts... should be more then enough for canister, power head and maybe the heater during the winter.

-Mike

Brent RH
02/07/2009, 10:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14344948#post14344948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikersx02
You can get a battery backup (for computers) that has AVR (automatic voltage regulation) I have a pretty big one on my tank that runs just my bio filter canister and one power head. Thats all I need minimally to keep the tank from tanking.

THe UPS i have is a APC 1500... Ive had one power outage that lasted 4 or 5 hours and it only had one notch out of 6 or 7 of the battery life gone. I think that was before I removed the heater and extra power heads and filters from it.

I have a deep cycle battery that I use for fishing (trolling motor) that I have as a backup to my backup and a ac/dc converter to switch over off the battery backup in case it goes on for a while. It can convert 250 watts... should be more then enough for canister, power head and maybe the heater during the winter.

-Mike
Where do you get that set up? They make them for sump pumps too. Does yours come on on its own?

bigbearcrain
02/08/2009, 07:16 AM
bristleworms and aptasia all gone. and i had some very large ones.......

mikersx02
02/08/2009, 08:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14344975#post14344975 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brent RH
Where do you get that set up? They make them for sump pumps too. Does yours come on on its own?

The APC unit?

You can get a similiar unit from Circuit City right now on the cheap (they are going out of business) Look in the computer section. Make sure it has AVR... and dont worry about powering your lights... battery backups wont be able to hold your tank for more then a couple of days at most. (the big ones) You will need a generator for anything after 3-4 days....

Brent RH
02/08/2009, 11:25 AM
How about the heavy duty type? Deep cycle battery. and your inverter? Did they come as a kit or did you just create it your self? The PC backup units that I've used seemed to burn out after a year.

mikersx02
02/08/2009, 10:23 PM
the deep cycle battery was something I rigged up for an actual move that I was going to make to Orlando Florida from Virginia. I needed something to keep my critters alive in the bucket--- i just move my canister filter to the bucket (intake and output), move the heater, and plug it into the inverter. The inverter plugged into the vehicle power adapter (cigarette lighter it used to be called ;)

Soooo.... when my job order got canceled to florida- I kept the inverter. last summer, when we had the threat of a hurricane coming- my father brought over a deep cycle battery we use for fishing and he found another adapter that adapts the cigarette lighter to allegator clamps at radio shack... looks like a y harness. You just plug in the cigarette adapter "male" end into the female end of the battery adapter and attach the clips.

The actual inverter i got from Wal-Mart for 45 dollars... does like 250 watts.. more then you will need to run a non metal halide tank.

You just want to run essentials... your fish would rather breathe clean water then to have lights and all the current running. I just have the canister filter and one power head on mine.... in the winter I would put the heater on there... its usually less than a 100 watts depending on your size of heater.

During the summer you may need to get creative with zip lock bags or recycled 2 liter bottles of frozen water in the tank to keep it from getting too hot.

Hope that helps.

most higher end battery backups have "trays" of batteries that you can replace. We have similiar units at work and I have only replaced 2 the whole 4 years I have worked there. We have 30.

Flipper62
02/08/2009, 10:44 PM
WOW.......Over the past year, I have posted around 30 posts on using APC....Battery back ups for keeping the pumps & things running.

I have all of my pumps, heaters, powerheads, lights...everything Plugged into APC battery backups / power surge...the same that is used for Computers.

The APC backups are not cheap, for the higher battery backup, BUT what do you have invested in your tank ??

I have everything ballanced out between the backups....That if the power goes out, The main pumps, powerheads & heaters will run for about 6 hours.

mikersx02
02/09/2009, 07:57 AM
I agree- I have a backup to my backup for when the apc fails. I live in an apartment, so generators arent allowed. I will have to ferry batteries back and forth between my parents house.

bigbearcrain
02/09/2009, 07:39 PM
took 80% of sand out and did away with it. the rest cleaned very very long. Sprayed rock with water hose in order to remove nastyness. starting with fresh water and have a container of refuqium mud to put in refug......all rock back in, in a temp placement....will be going after a bag of live sand in a day or two. also looking to pick up a few small pieces of live rock....also will get some sand from refug at church as well as some calupra....would like to find some cheato...oh yea got to pick up some carbon........
water changes how often you think since im starting with all fresh water?

rockscuba54
02/10/2009, 11:37 AM
For those Long Power Outage, how about using your car's battery, with an high watt inverter. You could start your car once in a while. Power outage does not happen very often, and it is cheaper than an generator. But how long can you have an electral cord (heavy duty), or would you be better, to run a cord for the 12 volt into the house, then the inverter? Just an idea. I went ahead and bought an 3500 watt generator last year. Might as well run furnance an tv too.

Whys
02/10/2009, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14352157#post14352157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flipper62
using APC....Battery back ups for keeping the pumps & things running.
Flipper, I've been looking into getting one of these, but don't understand the differences. Do you have any recommendations for a 50g system?

Brent RH
02/10/2009, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14363033#post14363033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rockscuba54
For those Long Power Outage, how about using your car's battery, with an high watt inverter. You could start your car once in a while. Power outage does not happen very often, and it is cheaper than an generator. But how long can you have an electral cord (heavy duty), or would you be better, to run a cord for the 12 volt into the house, then the inverter? Just an idea. I went ahead and bought an 3500 watt generator last year. Might as well run furnance an tv too.
your generator likely gives off dirty power that I would not suggest running a nice t.v. off of. Just thought I'd throw it out there!!

Crustman
02/10/2009, 06:13 PM
Wow, I'm sorry you lost your fish and inverts. I have to think about this for the next Hurricane.

bigbearcrain
02/10/2009, 07:49 PM
By all means get a back up generator. We have a wind storm coming in tomarrow. All the damage still isnt cleaned up and lots of trees are split and ready to come down. And my darn generator hasnt gotten here..........Hoping for the best

James79
02/10/2009, 08:07 PM
Better to run a regular extension cord from car/inverter into house, than to try and rig 12V into house for inverter. Too much voltage drop on 12V.

bigbearcrain
02/12/2009, 07:21 PM
Well i got lucky this time,, had power back on in only 23 hours. then again i dont have anything left in the tank except the once alive live rock. and 250 gal of feshly made water...............

blakeorme
02/12/2009, 07:32 PM
After thinking about it, the Vortech with a battery back-up isn't a terrible idea. They can run for almost 36 hours. With that, all you would need is a computer back-up battery for a heater.
I travel frequently for work and the need for something to automatically turn on is essential.