PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on lighting a frag tank: light and K choices for growth..???

redfishsc
02/07/2009, 05:57 PM
This is more of an opinion thread. I am hoping to get info from folks who are running frag tanks with good results. Two main questions:

1) If you were going to set up a small, shallow (ie, a 10g) prop tank with SPS growth in mind (ie, you don't care about looks), would you set up a 4X24 T5 w/parabolic reflectors, or a 70W MH with a good reflector? A 150 MH would just waste electricity IMO and generate too much needless heat.

Do MH just inherently promote more growth, or do you think the T5's stack up fist-to-cuffs?

2) What bulb color would you recommend? In something this shallow I am somewhat afraid that a low K rated bulb, like a 6500K or 10,000K setup, would be too white for good growth. I have heard people around here claim both sides: more blue, or more daylight/white.

My main tank is VERY blue (two 460 blue tubes, one UVL Super actinic and one UVL 12,000K) but growth seems to be fairly good and steady.

The problem is, I have little to compare things to. My previous tanks were only lighted with T8 or PC bulbs and I did not grow very much SPS.

Any opinions on which light type and color I would be best with?

redfishsc
02/08/2009, 03:47 PM
Any opinions on this?