PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Aggressive Tomini

Shewillbemine
02/07/2009, 06:58 PM
Hi folks,

I've had a Tomini co-existing peacefully with a pair of clowns and two chromis in my 75 gallon and I recently added a blenny. However, the Tomini has taken negative notice of the blenny and attacks from time to time. I don't see the Tomini's "blade" coming out and his bites are more like fast nudges against the very peaceful and old man looking blenny.

They've only had a day to live together so is there a possibility that the Tomini will learn to accept the blenny, esp. since the blenny doesn't even fight back? I didn't believe there would be a compatibility issue since a Tang and blenny are so different looking and the blenny is a surface dweller.

Thank you for any input.

reeferstace
02/07/2009, 07:06 PM
I am having the EXACT same problem. I added a lawnmower blenny to a 150g that houses my Tomini. Damn tang never had messed with anyone. Within a day I saw him going after the blenny. I am hoping it will pass. I really love the tang and really wanted the blenny.

butrya03
02/07/2009, 09:29 PM
ive had a lawnmower in my old 75 with my tomini and they fought for a while. after about a week the tang seemed to get over it and they seemed to get along for the most part. however when i would put some algea sheet in the tank they would get to bickering over who would get to eat first. all in all i thought they got along pretty well.

Shewillbemine
02/07/2009, 10:46 PM
^^A little comforting that the tang eventually got over it. I even tried slightly reaquascaping but it didn't seem to work. The blenny is now perched/hidden behind a powerhead and the Tang comes after him from time to time.

Shewillbemine
02/08/2009, 12:37 AM
I CAUGHT THE TANG!!! He's now in my sump in a timeout.

1. Should I just trade him, expecting that he will always be ornery in the tank he's known for the past two months?

2. Will he actually "forget" about the tank, his old territory and the blenny he bothered?

3. I can also stick him in my nano for a few weeks or even a month to help him "forget", thereby making him the last fish added to the tank.

Thanks again for any input folks.

reefrf
02/08/2009, 02:17 AM
I have the same issue with my Tomini chasing my Starry blenny. It's really no big issue since the Blenny has many hiding places to zip in & out of. The Tang can't even fit in some of the places the Blenny goes to. So they co-exist just fine. Everyone eats their share. It's just weird how the Tang just chooses NOT to like him, in fact hates him!

reefrf
02/08/2009, 02:20 AM
I think it's quite common for fish to learn to get along with each other after several days of squabbling. It's just a risk you have to take if you want to see if they'll get along. I say try it. As long as the Tang allows the Blenny to eat they should be fine.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14343001#post14343001 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shewillbemine
Hi folks,

I've had a Tomini co-existing peacefully with a pair of clowns and two chromis in my 75 gallon and I recently added a blenny. However, the Tomini has taken negative notice of the blenny and attacks from time to time. I don't see the Tomini's "blade" coming out and his bites are more like fast nudges against the very peaceful and old man looking blenny.

They've only had a day to live together so is there a possibility that the Tomini will learn to accept the blenny, esp. since the blenny doesn't even fight back? I didn't believe there would be a compatibility issue since a Tang and blenny are so different looking and the blenny is a surface dweller.

Thank you for any input.