PDA

View Full Version : My friends tank

keylargo sun
02/07/2009, 10:37 PM
My friend has a 75 gallon tank that is over crowded and he has ick. The biggest fish that he has is a queen angel that is about a foot long. He also has a bicolor angel,2 fire fish,blenny,7 green cromis, 2 clowns,scissor tail fish,singapore angel,and 3 more fish that he dosent know the name for them. He was behind on water changes when he put the queen angel in about 3 weeks ago. The fish got ick and he started doing the water changes and that didnt help. Then he got 2 uv sterlizes that are 24 watts and 8 watts. That didnt do it so he put the kick ick in and that didnt work. He has 2 corals that he dosent want to kill and 2 shrimp. He had a lemon angel and it was covered in ick, he put it in fresh ro water and it died. He dosent have a qt tank so cant dose with copper so what should he do? Thanks

MileHighFish
02/07/2009, 10:46 PM
Well with all those fish in a 75 gal there is a serious stress issue. I really cant understand why someone would buy a foot long fish with a 75 and not expect problems. I understand your not looking for a lecture based on your friends tank, but you need to stress to him to do some research and not just buy pretty fish. The only option is to set up a QT and each and every fish has to be treated for several weeks. Ich will live and stay in his main tank for several weeks so if he QT's and thy look better they cant be returned to the main tank. Hypo-salinity is an option, but never a fresh water dip this is to stressful. I'm not familiar with kick ich, does it not contain copper?

SALT WATER CRAZ
02/07/2009, 10:49 PM
I would never put a queen in a tank that small.

MileHighFish
02/07/2009, 10:49 PM
I think I counted 14 fish in a 75 gal!

MileHighFish
02/07/2009, 10:52 PM
I just looked up Kick Ich and the 1st thing it says is to turn off UV lights, but your buddy bought and is running two?? He needs to spend his money in the right place, maybe stop by your house and jump on to RC and do some research.

keylargo sun
02/07/2009, 10:58 PM
I have told him plenty of times thats to many fish and to big. Hes trying to save up for a 150 gal tank thats why hes getting all these fish. The only tank that he has is a 10 gal that has a huge damsel in it. The kick ick dosent have copper in it. Is there anything else he can do with out a qt. He has had his uv off but he turned it back on just a few minutes ago trying to see if that would help.

nikon187
02/07/2009, 11:06 PM
Without dosing the display, QT is his only option. Ick is in the tank now, the best method would be to leave the display fishless for 2 months

MileHighFish
02/07/2009, 11:11 PM
That really doesnt make sense he is buying more and more fish with the intent of getting a 150?? He is putting the cart before the horse dont you think? If he cant afford the QT and wants to keep the 14 fish he has I would recommend he sells the coral back to the LFS and treat the tank with copper. There isnt an easy answer for this and it isnt going to go away.

IFbettas
02/07/2009, 11:12 PM
He should see if he can return the fish, though I doubt any store would want ich infested fish. Or he could move the corals and inverts to the 10 gallon, so he can treat with copper, and then get rid of the fish once they are healthy enough for a store to accept them.

keylargo sun
02/07/2009, 11:22 PM
Thats what i told him to do for the treatment but he says that he wont be able to get the copper out so he can put his corals and shrimp back in.

MileHighFish
02/07/2009, 11:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14288381#post14288381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keylargo sun
I put two baby hippo tangs in my 75 gallon tank yesterday and moved some rock around about an hour after i put them in. They are already eating frozen food and the are nipping at seaweed. My question is that they have some spots of ick on them. I have some kick ick should i give a couple of days or go head and treat the tank. All of my other fish look good just seen my clown rub once and thats all. Thanks for the help

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14293563#post14293563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keylargo sun
I was told that the garlic puts something in the fish that makes them put a odor out and it makes the ick go away. Is that true? I treated the tank about 3 a.m this morning and now its 1:30 p.m and they are still eating really good and the ick is still there.Turned the temp up to 80. Is there anything else I should do and do I need to get some garlic. Thanks

Is this your tank were alking about? Looking through your other threads your talking about the same issues and doing the same thing using kick ich and you just bought a uv light? Its ok if it your tank but it would help to be honest and people would be more willing to help.

IridescentLily
02/07/2009, 11:35 PM
Um. A Queen Angel?

Wow.

keylargo sun
02/07/2009, 11:35 PM
No two different tanks my baby hippos got it and got my hippos clean from ick with the kick ick. I had just put them in there and they got it so wanted to start early before it got out of hand bc i had ick twice before that killed everything i had. The kick ick worked okay for me so i recommened it to him and it didnt work so he wanted me to post his problems to see what he needed to do. This isnt my tank its my friends . Thanks

IridescentLily
02/07/2009, 11:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14344705#post14344705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keylargo sun
Is there anything else he can do with out a qt.
Yes. Give the Angel to his nearest Local fish store. Or a local person in a reef club. Like STAT.

Or, you could be a good friend and do that for him. ;)

FFS

IridescentLily
02/07/2009, 11:42 PM
Where do you all live? Bristol in the US or Bristol in the UK?
That way I'll know if I can give you the link to a local reef club in your area.

keylargo sun
02/07/2009, 11:45 PM
I live in Bristol Tn and i only have my 75 gal and i dont want to put that big fish in my tank and risk my fish.

lovethereefer25
02/07/2009, 11:52 PM
your friend is an idiot! Put him in a closet for a few hours and ask him how it feels. Nothing more aggravating than ignorance.

IridescentLily
02/07/2009, 11:56 PM
I meant you could take the Angel to a nearest LFS for him.
Although I'm not sure taking it to the same LFS who sold it to your friend is a great idea for the Angel either. :rolleyes:
Do either of you have handy anything that could become a QT tank? Like a really large, clean rubbermaid container, an extra heater, pump, etc?
If not, here's a link to the Northeast US reef members section here. Scroll down to the TN thread. There are two threads for TN in that section. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=535
Good luck.

*punches pillow*

keylargo sun
02/07/2009, 11:59 PM
I tried to tell him that but he dosent listen. The fish that i have in mine are 2 tiny baby hippos,red sea wrasse, 2 black and white clowns,coral beauty,bicolor angel,chalk bass and pygmy angel. All of the fish are small except the bicolor and hes only about 3 inches long. Thats all that im putting in my tank except for my corals.

MileHighFish
02/08/2009, 12:05 AM
I think you can tell him the things we suggesed and if he cant or wont do it, there isnt much you can do..

keylargo sun
02/08/2009, 12:11 AM
If he treats with the copper can he get the copper out so he can do his reef and if so how?

nikon187
02/08/2009, 12:58 AM
not with all the rocks and sand in there no( They will absorb some copper and make a reef quite difficult) .. Some say it will leach into the silicone as well. A QT is not hard to set up. A container of some sort, powerhead, heater, sponges from filter and your set.

wrott
02/08/2009, 01:43 AM
Precisely, go to HD, get a couple of large enough rubbermaids, a couple of maxijets, heater, and eggcrate--no sense in losing fish to jumping if you are taking the effort to QT.
He could FW dip for 5 minutes(add buffer and match temp) between transfering fish to clean, dry rubbermaid with new SW--this will get rid of ich quickest.
Either use hypo, copper, and possibly a formalin bath for 20 minutes at a time every 1-2 days(do it in tank water, use an airstone and stop if fish begins gasping too much).

madadi
02/08/2009, 02:02 AM
get the corals and shrimp to the 10gallon and reduce the salinity for a while in the 75gallon to kill the itch