PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Hand Not Looking Well

Mike Murphy
02/08/2009, 09:27 AM
About 4 months ago I brought home a nice specimen and soon there after it closed up the polyps on it's surface and took about 2-3 weeks of sloughing of it's exterior and gradually came back to the point it was growing and looking fine.

Recently it has gone dormant again but looks like it is shrinking. It is up fairly high under my 72" fixture with 150 watt mh and 96 watt actinics, it had been there a couple of months with no ill effects.

Tank is a 125, skimmed and it has been about 3 weeks since I did a water change so probably a little over due however my xenia, star corals and zoos are growing like weeds.

Only things I can find out of wack are alkalinity is a little low 2.0 and my calcium was down to 360 and I have been dosing with Kalk water in my topoff tank however it is not enough. Yesterday I started back with EVS Bionic two part calcium. Before this a few weeks ago my mag was low but it is back up to 1470.

Only thin I can think that has changed much is the flow was redirected a little on my return flex pipe but with about 3000gph flow in this tank I can't see much happening.

Is this a normal occurance that I should just not worry about?

saltydude
02/08/2009, 09:11 PM
Does your DH get alot of current? Try putting it somewhere else in the tank. I know it needs current , does it get alot? Any Pics? Bionic is a Godsend in my book. I have been using it for years and my tanks just fine.
http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr115/saltydude610/PC240235_01.jpg

Mike Murphy
02/13/2009, 11:16 AM
Seems to have sloughed off another coat of slime and it looking ok now. I did redirect one of my return flows a few days ago so as if not to be too direct. I have a wave box anyway so sure it is fine.