PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Unit Question

calli
02/08/2009, 12:16 PM
Where the tank is located is closest to the Washroom where I usally mix my salt and dump my water changes.

Now the question is.. under the Sink there is a copper hot line and a copper cold line. Do I hook up to the Cold line only or do I somehow have to hook up to both?

Second question is.

Now if I hook it up on the Cold line that means that all the water that ever comes out of that line will be RO/DI. So I will be blowing through Filters right?

Whys
02/08/2009, 01:31 PM
What kind of RO/DI do you have? Mine connects to threaded faucet, like an outdoor faucet. I have just such a faucet in my basement and only use it for this purpose. However, I can just unscrew it were I to need it for something else.

You are right, you don't want to run RO/DI just to wash your hands or fill a sink. That would be an expensive waste. Better to find a different solution.

Oh, and I can't think of any reason you would need to hook it up to the hot. Cold is fine, just heat your water to tank temp before adding it.

Good luck!

calli
02/08/2009, 01:39 PM
yeah the only sinks in the home that have threads like that is the one in the Kitchen and the one in the laundry room.. I will just hook it up to the one in the laundry room... the kit from "The Filter Guys" I think you can ask for one that hooks right up to the Faucet.

Whys
02/08/2009, 01:45 PM
You could add a ball-valve of some sort and split the line with a 'Y'. Then just switch it when you need it.

calli
02/08/2009, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have a good install manual with pictures?

Sisterlimonpot
02/08/2009, 01:57 PM
Y it off your laundry room is the best bet. If the connectors aren't the same you can get adapter to fit just about anything you want. And smart move about not using hot water. That will ruin your ro membrane. As far as hooking them up goes:

http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi_install.html

This website might point you in the right direction. There might be a few manufacturers’ differences but for the most part it will be strait forward.

calli
02/08/2009, 01:59 PM
Ok cool... Thank you all very much... This should be pretty straight forward.. I plan to just make about 30 or 40 gallons at a time that should last me about 2 weeks.. including the water changes...

mmedeiros2
02/08/2009, 05:07 PM
Never tie into the hot water line. You might want to make sure that you have near at least 60 psi of presure in the line you are connecting to. This amount of presure is needed for maximum performance, and a longer lasting membrane.

calli
02/08/2009, 06:41 PM
I might just get the one that screws on the tap.. that will be much easier to hook up and take off for regular water use.

treecowboy42
02/08/2009, 08:05 PM
I have the 1 that screws into the tap on a utility tub, and split it with a normal outside faucet Y fitting, so you can use both. Change the faucet, it would be cheaper.

roneil
02/08/2009, 08:38 PM
i have a tapped it with a saddle valve on the cold water pipe. i have plexi pipes for both hot and cold water and it is working fine.

One more thing, i have my unit in the basement and i have a faucet on the kitchen sink (to make wife happy)