PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Kenya...Have a question

fasteddie99
02/08/2009, 05:49 PM
Just bought it along with a huge piece of rock covered in GSP's about 2 hours ago. The GSP's are doing great, they mostly all popped back out already. But the Kenya tree is still all shriveled up. It was about 3" high in the LFS and now it is about half that since it has been handled. I just want to make sure this is normal and I'm not doing something wrong.

Denbf58
02/08/2009, 05:52 PM
give it time it will be fine they take awhile to adjust

BuddhaKiss
02/08/2009, 05:52 PM
Give it some time. Mine likes medium flow and medium light. What kind of lights are you using?

CA2OR
02/08/2009, 06:00 PM
+1 on give time. I had one for a day or 2 before it opened. After it opened it grew 1 and a half inches in about 2 weeks.

DLANDINO
02/08/2009, 06:03 PM
Give it a little time, Kenya can pretty much be dropped out of the tank, vacuumed up and then be placed back in the tank and it will live. Unfortunately in about 2 months you will be asking us how to get rid of the Kenya that is taking over your tank. I had a piece that was about the size of a brocolli spear. Within a few months is was huge and dropping branches everywhere. Those branches attached in the tightest of spaces in the rock work. I got rid of the mother colony about 6 months ago because it was choking out everything and am still battling the 2nd and third generation scourge. Good luck

fasteddie99
02/08/2009, 06:40 PM
Ok thanks. I figures as much but I just wanted to make sure. Tomorrow will be the first full day of light so we'll see after that.

As far as what kind of lighting I am using, it is a Nova Extreme T-5 216 watts. I figure I will be able to support softies with it. The tree is on the sand bed right now but will prolly move it up after it has time to settle in.

darkdruid
02/08/2009, 07:03 PM
Give it a little time and it will open back up, you can keep them alive in a 5 gallon bucket with a flashlight...lol