PDA

View Full Version : Ick again Please HELP

keylargo sun
02/08/2009, 06:19 PM
I put two hippo tangs that are 1/2 inch long into my 75 gallon tank 2 weeks ago and when i put them in they got ick. I done a 10 gallon water change and then started treating with the kick ick medication. For the last two days they looked really good but today they are covered with it again. In my tank i have the 2 hippos, 2 clowns, bicolor, coral beauty, red sea wrasse, chaulk bass, and a pygmy angel. The bass has a little ick and every thing else looks good. what do i need to do to keep everything else from getting it?

rkelman
02/08/2009, 06:40 PM
You need to remove all fish and QT them and either treat them with Copper OR Hyposalinity. Leave the tank without fish in it for 4-6 weeks and you'll be good. QT EVERY fish that enters your system from now on for 4-6 weeks

keylargo sun
02/08/2009, 07:11 PM
Would it be okay if I went to Walmart and got a plastic container to put them in. I dont want to pull everything out b/c im afraid of them getting stressed and dying. I was going to try to remove the fish that only has ick and treat them and then if any of the other ones get ick i will remove them. I will put a light, heater and filter on there is that all i need? Do i half to to have rock and sand. I will just do a water change and put that water into the plastic container.

zenzence
02/08/2009, 07:59 PM
Just jumping in on this to put in my two cents. Ick is some nasty stuff I would have to agree with rkelman once you get ick in your tank it quickly spreads. Larva will quietly lay dormant in your sand only to later reappear just when you think its gone. You really should remove ALL your fish and treat with copper. If you leave healthy fish in tank they will get infected and you will basically have to your qt time all over again. Leave live rock and sand alone for at least 6 weeks till ick runs its cycle.

Freed
02/08/2009, 08:03 PM
http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html

rkelman
02/08/2009, 08:04 PM
You may lose some to stress but you'll lose alot more in the long run by putting a band aid on the problem. A large plastic tote from Walmart would do just fine as a QT tank I would think..

zenzence
02/08/2009, 08:22 PM
Great artical Freed

zenzence
02/08/2009, 08:22 PM
Great artical Freed

Hop
02/08/2009, 08:33 PM
That is the same article I followed to the letter years ago. Since then I either quarantine all fish that enter the system or I have a LFS that will do it for me and I trust them. No ich since 2004:D

da1jewfish
02/08/2009, 08:49 PM
Kick-Ick. Its a great product reef, invert and everthing safe. I swear by it. You can easily treat it in your 75 display tank.

keylargo sun
02/08/2009, 09:18 PM
will the water that I take out of my tank and add to the container go through a cycle and the ammina go up without anything being in there like rock and sand?

rkelman
02/09/2009, 05:37 AM
The general consensus here on RC is that Kick Ick is snake oil...

Yes the water will cycle. You need some kind of filter. I use a Hydor sponge filter in my QT. If you have some kind of sponge that's established in your main tank you could try and use that somehow to help with ammonia. Either way with all those fish you are going to need to do alot of water changes.

snorvich
02/09/2009, 06:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14350830#post14350830 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by da1jewfish
Kick-Ick. Its a great product reef, invert and everthing safe. I swear by it. You can easily treat it in your 75 display tank.

Well there are only two treatments for ich: hyposalinity and copper. Anything else is not going to work.

da1jewfish
02/10/2009, 10:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14352903#post14352903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Well there are only two treatments for ich: hyposalinity and copper. Anything else is not going to work.

How are you going to tell me its not going to its not going to work when I have used it myself 5 different times, different fish, different tanks and it has worked everytime?

Matter of fact I am using it now on a new spotted puffer I got a week ago. I should have taken a before picture, but lets just say he's got another lease on life (still treatin him for the full 13 day treatment).