PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the most likely to be Reef Safe dwarf angel

douglam
02/08/2009, 07:40 PM
I finally caught my lemonpeel angel that has been nipping at my corals in my new 40 breeder. Now im wondering what kinds of dwarf angels are the most likely to be reef safe. i know i prolly shouldnt risk it again but i loved how much the fish swam around the tank.

sixspeed
02/08/2009, 08:21 PM
flame angel

ctenophors rule
02/08/2009, 08:24 PM
i have heard of potters angelfish not bein g too bad, and yesterday i saw a flame in a large soft coral tank so.....

xJake
02/08/2009, 08:34 PM
I'd say that most angels in the Centropyge genus have about an equal chance of nipping at corals.

As for my own personal experience, I have a C. tibicin in one of the reef tanks in the lab. He actually won't eat any meaty foods, and so far he will only accept Nori when feeding. He almost starved to death because no one thought to offer him herbivorous foods. From what I've observed, he doesn't even touch the corals; instead, he has become ubiquitous to a Tang and munches on algae all day.

I also cared for a C. loriculus during high school. He had the opposite temperament; always nipping at SPS and LPS - he even managed to kill 3 Fungia spp. Basically there will always be the risk of nipping, so you're taking a chance no matter what species you choose.

douglam
02/08/2009, 09:06 PM
thanks. id like to here some more experiences. keep it coming. Would like to hear about nipping experiences too.

monicaswizzle
02/08/2009, 09:09 PM
From what I have read, Jake is right--about all Centropyge have about the same likelihood. Also, I have either been lucky, or the tendency to nip is a bit overblown. I have had three different Coral Beauties and although all of them nip at the odd item every now and again none of them have been problems. I even kept one in a tank with an Australian Sea Apple and never had a problem. (I don't recommend it. If the Sea Apple had poisoned the tank I would have been very sad.)

If you REALLY want to be sure, find someone locally that is taking down a reef tank that can swear to the behavior of the particular dwarf angle that they will give/sell to you since they are getting out of the hobby. There are so many people getting out of the hobby lately that such a person shouldn't be hard to find and then you know about the individual fish you are getting. (If you live near a good size LFS, they probably have lots of people coming in to give back their livestock and if you tell them what you want they can ask the question for you. The owner of Hoeffer's in Milwaukee told me recently that at first they had bets on how early in the week someone would call and ask if they would take back all of their fish/corals. Now he says they get calls every day and the bet is on how early in the day the call will come in. Very sad.)

Good luck--the dwarf's are such great fish I hope you find one that works for you.

douglam
02/08/2009, 09:18 PM
i would agree that it would only make sense that my chances were equal with all of them but when i posted about my lemonpeel npping i was told i should have know and that all lemonpeels nip.

Mariner
02/08/2009, 09:30 PM
Well, I don't agree that all dwarf angel species have an equal chance of nipping. I do agree that it's about 50/50 with most of them. However, I hear about Lemonpeels nipping all the time, and I don't recall ever hearing of one not nipping.
On the other hand, I've rarely heard of and never seen a Flameback nip. A high-end LFS in Birmingham, Alabama used kept them in all of his reef tanks. I've got one in my 135g and it has been well behaved for over two years.
FWIW,
Mariner

sundancer
02/08/2009, 09:54 PM
I have had 3 flames, 3 potters and a african flameback none of which nip at any coral.
I currently have a pair of potter, one flame and one flameback in a 360 with lots of LPS/SPS and clams without any issues. Just give them lots of live rock and diatoms and preferably lots of room. They love to roam and graze.

Pygmies are my favorite fish. If I could I will keep a few more.

cpoll86
02/08/2009, 10:13 PM
I had a coral beauty that never touched any corals.

Toddrtrex
02/08/2009, 11:03 PM
IMO, some are worse then others --- with a Lemonpeel being near the top of the list (( with Bi-color at the top ))

I currently have a pair of Potter's in one of my tanks (( one for 13 months, the other for a month )) neither have touched any of my SPS, clams, zoas or anemones

In a different tank, I have a flame, that has been with me for 3 years, has touched anything (( same as above )). This is my second flame, the first was great too (( lost it while moving, a rock in a 5 gallon bucket...))

Had a flameback for about a year, (( sold it )) never touched any of the stuff listed above.

douglam
02/08/2009, 11:09 PM
sounds like i need a potters or a flame. which is less aggressive as i have a copperband as well.

Toddrtrex
02/08/2009, 11:15 PM
Is this for your 40 breeder? And how long has it been set up?

Potter's are very touchy, and truly need a mature tank with lots of live rock to graze on while they are getting used to eating prepared foods -- if they do start eating them.

IME neither are all that aggressive, but that might change with a Copperband in a smallish tank.

psteeleb
02/08/2009, 11:53 PM
I started with a Flame and Coral Beauty

I sold the Flame, as he took a liking to my clams and sps

douglam
02/09/2009, 10:37 AM
Ok thanks everyone. I guess I'm going to lookay the potters the flame and the coral beauty. I think probably a flame.

macreefster
02/09/2009, 11:04 AM
ive tried just about all the centropyge.... flame, argi, acanthops, resplendens and potters and eventually they all nipped at my corals. i feed heavily too as i have bartletts anthias that would eat non stop if allowed to! i love the dwarf angels and only wish i could trust them, but unfortunately i havent had good luck with any of them.

docalatamu
02/09/2009, 12:18 PM
for reef safe angels, I like this list for NOT nipping at corals, or at least, least likely to feed on anything coral related:

African Flameback angel
Caribbean Flameback angel
Atlantic Pygmy angel (C. argi)
Resplendens angel ($$$$)

check into the "Argi complex" as it is referred to and you will find something you like!

hunter4268
02/09/2009, 01:29 PM
I have had a Pygmy angel for almost 3 years with no problems. First in a 55 reef and now in my 125.

ICUP
02/09/2009, 04:13 PM
I have mine angel for 2,5 years - without touching anything - it's not as fancy as others but still very elegant - Eibli - eats everything- flakes are fav.
here is some info about it:

Scientific Name: Centropyge eibli
Alt Scientific Name:
Common Name: Eibli Angelfish
Alt Common Name: Eibli's Angelfish, Red Stripe Angelfish, Blacktail Angelfish
Group: Angel Fish (Angel Fishes)
Family: Pomacanthidae
Distribution: Various reefs throughout the eastern Indian Ocean

Adult Size: 4 inches (10.2cm)
Minimum Tank Size: 40 gallons
Temperament: Generally Peaceful, but will likely attack other angel fish.
Care Difficulty: 5/10

Reef Safety Score : 2/3

Temperature Range: 75°F - 82°F
74 76 78 80 82 84
pH Range: 8.1 - 8.4

Salinity Range (specific gravity): 1.02 - 1.027

Diet Information: Omnivorous - A varied diet is key to the health and longevity of the Eibli's Angelfish. Diet should include flake foods, pellet foods, frozen omnivourous foods, sheets of nori and mysis shrimp.
Additional Information : The Eibli's Angelfish is one of the more reef safe angel fishes. With that being said, it is still an angelfish and may nip at corals and sessile invertebrates. For this reason we have classified the Eibli's Angelsfish as Low Risk for reef safety. If you decide to add an Eibli's Angelfish to your reef tank, check often for nipped corals. Typically if this fish is fed well it will be a model citizen.
The Eibli's Angelfish has a light gray body with a black tail. Often the tips of the fins will be a vibrant blue color. The Eibli's Angelfish also has vertical orange stripes on it's sides and a yellow or orange color to it's pelvic fins.
Tank Mate Compatibility : The Eibli's Angelfish is typically a good community fish. Do not place with more aggressive fishes.
Breeding Information: No known way to breed in home aquariums.
Determining Sex: No known way to determine visually.
Primary Area in Tank: All over.

chewie
02/09/2009, 04:22 PM
I have a potters as well for over a year. No problems whatsoever.

I had a Eibli that was a HOLY TERROR! He didn't just "nip" at corals he actually picked off flesh and skeleton on every single piece of coral in my tank. He was worse than an Emperator Angel.

douglam
02/09/2009, 04:25 PM
well its sounding more and more like its all about luck. maybe i need to just skip the angel.

ICUP
02/09/2009, 05:04 PM
like i said - i have one but if it will die one day - i would not take my chance again

TellyFish
02/09/2009, 05:16 PM
corals get "nipped" all the time in the wild. I don't think any of the pygmy angels you mentioned (potters the flame and the coral beauty) are going to destroy any colonies. I don't have any LPS, but everything else including SPS.

My potters will nip, but he inspects every item in the tank, and every square inch of the glass and rocks as well. Nothing has ever been damaged. He is a gentle lover.

Anemonebuff
02/09/2009, 05:22 PM
I have a coral beauty and it never pics at the corals. It eats nori and any meaty foods I give it.

Corndork2
02/09/2009, 06:49 PM
My vote goes for Flame Angels or Coral Beauty's... Ive had both with no problems, and have seen and know quite a few people who have had them with no issues. Also some dwarf angels are known pickers (like the lemonpeel :( ) so you might want to narrow those down and eliminate them from your list. Best of luck!

AC11337
02/09/2009, 07:20 PM
An article i read said that angels in the family including flamebacks and cherubs are best. Most others are 50/50,(flame,coral beauty) and some, (lemonpeel,bicolor) never work.