PDA

View Full Version : Blue/green mushrooms! and SPS what to do?

tprize
02/08/2009, 11:18 PM
I have a 75 Gallon, that is chocked full of Zoa's and now unfortunately blue/green mushrooms. I started with a small rock of them because I loved them and they were my first coral.... now not so much. I am scared now because I have gorgeous live rock covered in zoa's... and poopy mushrooms. I am planning on taking all my live rock when I upgrade again, and turning it into an sps and zoa dominated tank. Problem is I don't know how to get rid of the mushrooms or if they are going to cause me problems down the line.

What should I do?

str8salt
02/08/2009, 11:24 PM
Kill them just like you would any other tank pest. Kalk paste should work well. Its interesting that he things we like the most when we start out tend to be what we get rid of later.

tprize
02/08/2009, 11:32 PM
Who makes a good kalk paste, and could you be a bit more specific as to how to do it so as to not harm any other corals?

psteeleb
02/09/2009, 12:01 AM
Kalc paste is just Lime and RO water (you can pick up pickling lime at some grocery stores in the canning section

I find injecting them with vinegar works a little better on mushrooms

tmz
02/09/2009, 12:18 AM
You can cut them off the rock with a razor blade. Tedious, Then brush the spot with a tooth brush,. If you put the pieces in a small plastic contanier with water flow hole punched in it with bits of live rock many will attach and you can trade them.

Jaded_Falcon
02/09/2009, 03:06 AM
I agree. There are a lot of people willing to take/buy mushrooms and even LFS will give you trade in credit, so why just kill them?

tprize
02/09/2009, 03:49 PM
They are attached to the rocks that contain all my gorgeous zoa's and they are fighting for space. I have to get rid of the ones that are on the rock near the zoa's and I don't have a place to put them so I will kill off only a select number. I could cut them off, but that is way to hard since most of them are facing down and on all sides I would have to tear up my aquascaping. How do you do the vinegar trick for killing them? Do you simply inject it into the mouth's and will it hurt other corals?

reefscape15
02/10/2009, 12:26 PM
+1 for TMZ and jaded falcon. Frag them off and take them to your LFS. They will most likely give you something for them! Better than having a dying organism in your tank!

L98-Z
02/10/2009, 12:40 PM
Agreed. Much like you enjoyed them when you first started, someone just starting now will enjoy them.

Don't just kill them.

tmz
02/10/2009, 01:05 PM
The vinegar is acetic acid. It lowers ph and feeds bacteria which can bloom and deplete oxygen. Use only small amounts if you go in that direction and you lshould be ok.

monicaswizzle
02/10/2009, 03:00 PM
Hmmm....I have a fair number of mushrooms spreading around my tank. Since my tank is a 90 and the number of corals is under 15 it hasn't been a problem, but someday it could be. Many of them are attached to bits of "rubble" (small rocks and/or empty shells on top of my deep sand bed). Maybe every time I make a trip to the LFS I should gather up the "easy" ones and trade them in. A little action now might avoid a "plague" later.

L98-Z
02/10/2009, 03:57 PM
I don't understand the plague. Mine never multiply.

Posidion
02/10/2009, 08:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14364428#post14364428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by L98-Z
I don't understand the plague. Mine never multiply.

Funny you should say that, mine never multiplied verry well either. Then came the last 8 mo. to a year and walla!!!!!! they multiplied like crazy. had to perform all the above methode to beat them back to the rock in which i wanted to keep them confined to. Kalk paste works for smaller ones vinigar for the big ones and cut n brush for the accessible ones. that was my aproach and its working:smokin:get em all :uzi:

L98-Z
02/10/2009, 08:22 PM
My tank is somewhat new, I guess that could explain it then.... I currently only have around 5 mushrooms.

vandh2or
02/10/2009, 08:50 PM
I would inject the stalk with a needle. B- ionic alk buffer worked for me. I had them growing in my zoos and the zoos would just close up. I will never put purple mushrooms in my tank again. I wish I could get ricordea to grow like them.

tprize
02/10/2009, 09:20 PM
I wonder if premium aquatics would buy them I guess I could ask.

snorvich
02/10/2009, 09:28 PM
I did an exorcism today. I will let you know how it turns out. Slippery little buggers after they expell their water.