PDA

View Full Version : Asternia Stars

rgrobe
02/08/2009, 11:46 PM
I've noticed my asternia stars are starting to do noticeable damage to my coralline. I have clean white trails of little spots eaten by the stars as they move through the rocks. I have never been to concerned before but the numbers and damage is increasing.

I have heard that Harlequin Shrimp will eat them. I also have heard there is a particular species of star that will eat them and is still reef safe.

Before I settle on a method I would appreciate some insight as to ways that others may have seen success in eliminating or at least controlling the population. What works for you?

reefrf
02/09/2009, 12:08 AM
I have the same problem. I took out my Fromia star & put him in my Fuge & added a Harlequin shrimp. So far, he seems to be making some good progress. With one shrimp & 150g DT I think it will take a few months at least.

reefrf
02/09/2009, 12:09 AM
I also try to suck up the asterinas when I do water changes.

MmmReef
02/09/2009, 12:39 AM
Ive had a few problems in different tanks with large asterina populations. Both times Harelquins did a nice clean up job. Only problem is once the stars are gone you have to either get rid of the shrimp or suppliment their feedings.

MarkusII
02/12/2009, 08:45 AM
Hello,

if you do not want Harlequins because you have other seastars in your tank, you could use the "Starcatcher" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=de&v=cXSsEa5jgvY)
from Aquadriver (http://www.aquadriver.de/)
regards

Markus

Ehaze
02/12/2009, 06:48 PM
Man, these little bastards killed 98% of my coraline algae, THERE WERE TONS of them.

The halequins owned them. been about a month.

cash cow
02/12/2009, 07:08 PM
i just pulled them out with my barehands or every time I did a water change......start going after them as soon as possible, cause they spread like crazy and get annoying..

MrRyanT
02/12/2009, 07:32 PM
I have a pair of Harlequins in my 110 gal DT. They've been in there for a little over a month and have decreased my asterina population by at least half. I'm thinking after another month I will have to find them some more food.

spleify
02/12/2009, 07:48 PM
Yep harlequins worked for me too. I had 100's of them.

I personally would not waste my money on that silly glass scraper, bucket thingy. Maybe 1, in every 50 ever makes it to the glass. JMO

str8salt
02/12/2009, 10:50 PM
harlequins. I went from hundreds to none in no time. The problem came after they finished. Hard to keep them up once the asterina are gone.