PDA

View Full Version : how do you know when your clam is dieing?

Ty1e
02/09/2009, 09:47 AM
Same question above, my clam detachted it's self from the glass bottom and lays on it's side now. I checked it out yesterday and the foot or mantel looks alittle torn. It's not closed up, it still closes when i pass my hand over it and block the light.
does it look like the end from my clam, will he kill my sps tank if left any longer in there?.

Maximus Clammus
02/09/2009, 06:24 PM
Can you post a pic?
The clam sounds like it just wants to be moved.

Ty1e
02/10/2009, 11:30 AM
will do.

TWallace
02/10/2009, 01:03 PM
In my experience, a detached or torn byssal gland is not a sign of a dying clam. However, many signs that a clam is dying manifest themselves too late for us to do anything about it.

I'd get it facing upright again, but wouldn't worry about the torn foot (I assume you mean the foot is torn and not the mantle. The mantle is the colored, fleshy part that extends above the shell to absorb light).

Ty1e
02/12/2009, 10:23 AM
Right now the mantle is most of the way closed, i've turned the little guy right side up 3 times and even placed him on a rock too see if he wanted LR to attach to in stead of sand or the glass bottom. i've seen what to me looks like a white foot come out of the bottom looking for rock or somthing to grab on to, two things do concern me that i see; the mantle, when the clam was right side up, seemed to be extremely open and now the bottom of the clam- the muscule area that holds the hard shell together has opened up and there's a mid to large hole now that i can see from the mouth to the bottom of the clam.
sorry i haven't been able to get a pic yet, I know i have to much waste in the water, the remora skimmer i've been using is not even close to enough for the sps grow tank it's in; i'm plaining on get the msx 200 at the end of the month.

Ty1e
02/13/2009, 03:09 PM
well, it dieing last night, the inner muscule and mantel shurnk to almost half the size. it couldn't even close the shell anymore.

GreatReefs
02/13/2009, 03:36 PM
Sorry but it sounds like your clam is toast.